Sidney the Sausage Dog by Alistair McCulloch

1. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    (…Scottish fiddler)

Not really my day today, after numerous takes I gave up and I decided to just play this as a simple hornpipe.
    The triplets, bodhran and drones went out of the window!

https://youtu.be/zLAk25IVtgk
  2. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Sounds fine without triplets, bodhran or drones, Simon!
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A good, unadorned performance, Simon. Lets the listener hear the tune and the instrument clearly. I have been at a few of Alistair's workshops over the past three or four years. He is a fine player, composer and teacher and his mixed workshops are a lot of fun. I do hope you opened the window first before propelling the triplets, bodhran and drones out into the great outdoors!
  4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    An instrument must always be able to stand its own ground, we have to assert that every now and then. Now I understand, why you played in a thick sweater like that - opening the window for triplets, bodhran and drones must have let all the heat out, too! But still, there is that less than perfectly tuned bell chime, which is either a church or the neighbors ringing your door-bell because of the noise...
  5. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Yes those bells have rung 705,180 times in the last 3.5 years since I bought my octave.
    So it’s understandable that they are out of tune and that they mess up my humble attempts at music.

It’s cold though, my fingers never warmed up on this one. Snowed heavily last night, will include in next vid.
    May even light up the propane instead of electric and really warm this place up.
  6. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    I’m glad you “… decided to just play this as a simple hornpipe”, Simon. Sounds good.
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks John Bertram and Frithjof, much appreciated.
    Okay I'm going to start posting tunes with almost just one instrument.
  8. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    A good hornpipe adorns itself, as we can see here.