Good Music Theory Book

1. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    My wife signed up for a Music Theory class this winter from our local community college. Today I looked through her textbook and was very impressed.

Title: Edly's Music Theory for Practical People
    Author: Ed Roseman

Amazon has both a 3rd edition (for $25 new) and a 2nd edition (for considerably less). The main difference is the 3rd edition has several additional chapters of advanced material. I'd go for the 2nd edition if money was tight.

Music theory is not the same thing as "being able to read music". I think being able to read music would be very helpful but the author tries to present the material in a way that such ability is not really required.

Anyway, if you, like me, enjoy learning about how tunes are put together, what are scales and modes and minors and chords and stuff like all that, I do (highly) recommend this book. It is more like a "workbook" than a textbook - 8.5x11 format with exercises to fill in at the end of most chapters. If you buy a used one, some of the exercises may be already filled in.

Also, I should note that Mark Gunter put together a basic Music Theory course in the MC social group "The Woodshed Study Group" in which he works with some of Brad Laird's study materials to demonstrate and elaborate some of the same theory concepts. Excellent stuff there, too.
  2. NDO
    NDO
    I also recommend Duke Sharp’s book, Garage Band Theory.
  3. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Here’s a tip for those who enjoy *listening* to podcasts, audio books, etc.

Get the audio version of Music Theory: From Absolute Beginner to Expert by Nicolas Carter. I used to listen to a few audio books, over and over again, while working in a furniture repair shop. This was one of my favorites. Others: The Practice of Practice by Jonathan Harnum and The Music Lesson by Victor Wooten.

I know this is not something that appeals to everyone, but if you’re one of those who enjoy audio books, those are highly recommended. I own and endorse the print versions of each as well.