Hi All y'all from PA

1. Twistofer56
    Twistofer56
    Long, long ago (35 yrs) in a galaxy far, far away, I attempted the Banjo as my first string instrument and got frustrated with the Scruggs Style picking - so I gave it up. About 7 years later I bought a Missouri River mandolin, but couldn't find a teacher (being Active Duty, my late wife and I moved every 3 years). Now retired and settled down, I have the time to pick up the mandolin. It's definitely a change from the Pipe Organ and Recorders, but I'm looking forward to the challenge.

I hope to get some great tips from you.

(PS: Good Question, how'd I know "all y'all" the plural of "Y'all," as a Yankee. Simple...I married an Oklahoma gal and spent 23 wonderful years together. Sadly, she fell asleep in the Lord (aka died) 10 years ago this December).
  2. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    Welcome, Twistofer56! Do you still have the Mid-Mo? I've got a Mid-Mo mandola that I really like.
  3. Stacey Morris
    Stacey Morris
    Welcome Twistofer56! I hope you enjoy it here!
  4. NDO
    NDO
    Welcome Twistofer! You’ve come to the right place.
  5. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    I started not to respond since I’m not from PA - lol! the thread title threw me - but I opened thinking I’ll respond from Texas regardless :-)

Hi and welcome to the group! Hope you get a lot of enjoyment from your mandolin journey. These devilish little instruments can be addictive!
  6. JeffLearman
    JeffLearman
    Welcome!

Mark: yet another reminder that punctuation can be dangerous. Compare "Let's eat Grandma!" to "Lets eat, Grandma!"
  7. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Yes, punctuation is important, lol. Sometimes, it’s not enough; the Oxford “and” helps to clear up ambiguities:

There were two topless dancers, Hitler and Stalin.

There were two topless dancers, Hitler, and Stalin.

There were two topless dancers, and Hitler, and Stalin.

Apologies if anyone reading this has imagined Hitler and Stalin as topless dancers.