New Member, Strad-O-Lin Two Point (Venetian? Florentine?)

1. erikray
    erikray
    Hello, I just joined this group last week. It seems like a very friendly and caring bunch of mandolin players. Thanks for all the information you've made available.
    I've been playing Mandolin for a few decades and like collecting old, affordable mandolins. I've had several Kay's from the 1950's and I have a few Harmony Batwing Acoustic Electrics that I occasionally play on stage. I also have a Big Muddy that I fell into a lake with on my canoe, and needs some major work to get playable again.

After lusting for a Strad-O-Lin for a few years, I found a nice Two Point on ebay. I think it is listed in the old SOL catalog as a 1500 or 1501. I thought it would be more blonde, as I have a predilection for blondes. I've attached photos to the group photo postings. Let me know if they show up, as I am technologically challenged.
    It is in great shape, no cracks or major issues. I replaced the rusted strings with D'Addario JP74, washed the neck with WD-40 and gave it some mineral oil and guitar polish. I struggled for a while with the non-compensated bridge, but I think I have it close enough for the blues.
    Erik Ray Gustafson
    Montana Hi-Line Drifter
  2. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    Hi erikray, and welcome. I'm unfortunately not seeing your pictures, though I'd love to. I've become curious about these two pointers lately. Do you have a date inside yours? My luthier compensated the original bridge on my 1941-ish f-hole mandolin. I guess whether you do that or not has to do with how much you want to maintain exact originality.