A Mhuire Mhathair

1. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Here's a beautiful Irish hymn that was put to a New Zealand tune, as far as I could find. It's a pretty tune that is harder to play than it sounds, at least to me... Thanks for the Listen!!
  2. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Great to see a new post from you! It's a lovely melody, played with great sensitivity here.
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Beautifully played, Frank, and quite different from many of your other recordings. Melody and guitar backing go so well together. The combination of the Irish hymn with the Maori tune is a lovely example of what can happen when two very different cultures meet, and the power of music to transcend barriers.
  4. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    A very moving musical moment, Frank!
  5. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    That was lovely, Frank, and as John said a departure from your usual repertoire. Some interesting positional play to maintain the flow, which worked very well (perhaps what you meant about being difficult to play?).
  6. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Lovely Frank, I really like the clean tone and the simplicity matches well.
  8. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    I looked for the sheet music to this song and found some examples, but they all had the chords change in strange places not harmonizing the melody and pretty irregular. So I placed the chords in a more fitting pattern and played three verses with slightly different mandolin content:
  9. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Lovely arrangement and fine playing here, Christian. Your guitar backing gives the tune quite a country-and-western flavour.
  10. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Lovely pastoral renditions Frank and Christian. The title means "The Mother Mary", adding a religious theme well supported by Christian's "Western" ambiente.
  11. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Two very special recordings, Frank and Christian. Beautiful.
  12. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Thank You All !!! That was a pretty and very different version Christian. Richard; The position change did take some thought, for just the reason you stated. But what was difficult for me was this. It's such a simple, sparce melody, that I was determined to have every note be the same in volume and sustain. Playing this on the Collings is a challenge, because the mando is just soooo sensitive. Leaving no where to hide.
  13. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Pulsing tremolo now Christian! Reminds me a bit of the hurdy-gurdy and agile, elegant, sweet.
  14. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    That is interesting, Frank. I also find very slow pieces often the most difficult - there is nowhere to hide.

I just realized that I never commented on Christian's excellent version. Interesting how two very different interpretations can both feel faithful to the piece.
  15. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Yes, two very different but equally enjoyable recordings. This group never ceases to amaze me with its ability to create those different interpretations, which all work in their own ways. It's like an accelerated version of the "folk process".