Deux Billets Pour L’Espagne

1. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Here’s another, decided at the last minute, quite rough of course.
    The stream has almost dried up, should be a couple of feet deep at this time of the year…

https://youtu.be/DeiijGXIF44
  2. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Simon, this is very good. I notice that commenters on YouTube have made the same two remarks that I would. First, really cool recording, catching the sound of the stream. Secondly, where did it come from? (A google search would take my wife and me to Spain, but I'm none the wiser.)
  3. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Richard, I've been thinking about this all day!

One option is that it came from a German website, or maybe Polish, that has a lot of ABC files. I remember they had quite a lot of Chinese tunes in ABC format too. And I would have found the site through aBCnotation.com by using Polish, French or German search words. Once I had found a tune, I would look up and see from what collection it came.

Another idea I had, was that it came from a melodeon or ‘accordion diatonique’ site. I seem to remember a lot of ABC files that were from the 1970s and 1980s.

One of the main problems is that easy European sites built around yeah 2000 tend to post individual tunes rather than collections and the tunes are often written by their friends from the 70s and 80s.

I have about 1200 of these tunes printed out now, and a lot of them have references, but I really regret not being able to print all of the sources at the same time.

Could be here: https://ifdo.ca/~seymour/runabc/esac/esacdatabase.html
    Please let us know if you find.

(what I used to do, which I think is actually quite a good trick, is to download a zip file, strip it out and then paste the ABC files into an ABC player. In this way I could listen to many foreign tunes in the space of maybe only an hour to get an idea of which styles I liked. It's more difficult to recognise Nice melodic phrasing while using an ABC player but it can be done. One issue however was that tunes from one national region or one collection would be mixed with other tunes from throughout Europe).
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Very enjoyable sojourn with Mother Nature there, Simon.
  5. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Ah, another one of my favourite mandola-and-nature videos! It's just so therapeutic. And your tried-and-tested recording setup is working wonders with the sound quality again. It couldn't sound any better, listening on headphones.