Snow Deer

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This tune started out as a sentimental tin pan alley song written in 1911 by Percy Wenrich (who also wrote the popular "On Moonlight Bay", which I have also recorded). The original 1913 recording by Ada Jones and Billy Jones is on Youtube and was played quite slow. As a vocal song, it became part of the string band and Western Swing repertoire in the 1930s -- check out the versions by Woody Guthrie and by Bob Wills & Tommy Duncan, taking it at breakneck speed. Since then, it has become a popular Old Time fiddle tune, played as a lively polka in 2/4 time.

The arrangement I have used is by Evelyn Tiffany-Castiglioni, from her second "Big Book For Mandolins" (2017). Starting on unaccompanied mandolin, with tenor guitar, mandocello and second mandolin harmonies coming in gradually.

Played again on my grandfather's mandolin, which works really nicely on old-time tunes -- I am developing a new respect for its tone, versatility and playability.

1920s/30s Majestic mandolin (x2)
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

https://youtu.be/vgf87Ca7Y78

Martin
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Catchy tune and a fine arrangement and playing, Martin. That mandolin certainly rings out and really suits those tunes.
  3. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Nice arrangement, Martin. I find these old-time tunes have less to them than Scottish and irish tunes typically do and either need to be done at breakneck speed or with something else to add some interest - your tremolo achieves that, I thought.
  4. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, John and Richard. It's a pretty tune, and works well fast or slow, I think. Interesting to compare the Tin Pan Alley original to the Bob Wills version -- Bob did have a knack of putting his particular brand on tunes from a wide range of sources.

Martin