Clinch Mountain Backstep

1. Simon DS
    Simon DS
  2. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    This is really good, Simon. Another great Appalachian tune to seek out.
  3. William Young
    William Young
    What a great tune--and well played. I haven't heard this one but have spent part of the evening listening to various versions on YouTube. My "to learn" list continues to grow. This version has a slight melancholy and haunted quality that is compelling. Thanks for posting this--it is wonderful....
  4. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Richard and William I think this tune is great! I wanted to add more blues variations (to the recording at least) but I found the changes to non-standard finger movements was too difficult at that tempo. And I didn't want to change the tempo because I like that free-flowing bounce.

Weather here has changed, at least for the next two days, 8°C (45°F?) at midday -toasty warm! And we can even see the Sun sometimes.

By the way this tune is from Sharon Gilchrist’s course on Peghead nation.
  5. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great picking, Simon.
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine picking and playing, Simon. The slides sound good too and enhance the feel of the backstep.
  7. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    You're getting good at slides! It sounds quite American to me. The Peghead course seems to be working out well for you.
  8. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks dear compatriots!
    I sound American, Dennis because genetically I am part Irish, part Swedish and part Saxon (or Deutsch).
    Yes I love Old Time music and to me Appalachia is like the Highlands of Scotland.
    (I love the Highlands of Scotland too).
    The course is really hard work though, and Bluegrass definitely outside my comfort zone! but there are some great exercises, and really some great Bluegrass tunes are lovely.
  9. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    That had the Simon touch!! Excellent rendition!! Guess there's a little hillbilly in there. I thought there was
  10. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Hey Frank thanks, yes I love this tune.
    Hillbilly? Being out in the wilderness, what’s not to like?
  11. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Happy St. Patricks Day!!! Thanks for the Listen!
  12. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I bet Saint Patrick is thoroughly enjoying this one, Frank. He'll be backstepping like crazy!
  13. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Speedy Gonzales is nothing against Speedy Frank! That's the mountain well and truly clinched.
  14. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    What a wild ride!
  15. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Awesome picking on the fast lane!
  16. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    WoW
  17. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Oh, just when I was working up the courage to try some old-time. That is fantastic, Frank.

What is so interesting is how very different renditions of the same tune can work so well. (Hardly an original observation - it's what this group thrives on, I suppose.) I was really taken with Simon's slightly haunting version and this stomping rendition works equally well in a quite distinct way.
  18. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Thanks Folks! That was kinda, do it while you still can... It hurt my head more than anything else