Women Of Ireland

1. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    One more Happy St. Patricks Day!
  2. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    That. Is. Stunning. Every single note is a work of art in your hands, but there's also so much soul to hold it all together.
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A beautiful and soulful rendering of this lovely tune, Frank. You get a harp-like quality from your instrument and I love the way you do not rely on tremolo but just let the longer notes die away naturally. Your playing of this one shows just what a solo mandolin can deliver.

Addendum: Just remembered while listening to your playing that this air had featured away back in the Official Tunes, Frank, so had a prowl and found it back in June 2011 as week #113!

Here is link to the version I posted back then using octave and bouzouki, very different from your solo here.

https://youtu.be/HSLIL4b3OCA
  4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    The first time I heard this tune was a recording of the Chieftains used in the score for the Barry Lyndon movie, and this single mandolin rendition is a more delicate, more concentrated echo of that - Stanley Kubrick should have used this one instead (it would have required a time machine but would have made the transition from the heart-wounded lad to the callous rascal depicted in the film more stark).
  5. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Like a potter moundling clay in his bare hands to bring his soulful ideas to life, Frank you have surpassed yourself with this fragile piece of art.
    Your playing here is a true inspiration for us all, hearing you tap into the very heart of your glowing instrument, infused with deep emotion.

A gift to us all, each note that you pluck from your mandolin seems to be imbued with a magic all its own, transporting us to a place of pure joy and wonder.
  6. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    A fine solo mandolin rendition of that Seán O Riada composition, Frank. Reminds me a bit of solo jazz guitar: single note lines resolve into chords...
  7. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Nothing to add to the previous comments, except to say that I also found that quite stunningly beautiful. Christian, your comment about jazz guitar is perceptive - it didn't occur to me, but I seem what you mean.
  8. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Thank You All Much!!! I did look for the tune, thinking it "had" to be here. For whatever reason, tunes don't come up in advance search. And I'm not gonna go crazy researching this stuff, look once, move on... Liked your version very much John!
  9. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Frank. We produced two very different versions indeed - but each with its own merits, I hope!