Leaving Brittany

1. Eddie Sheehy
    I'm tempted to try this waltz - but with less of a Classical rhythm...

2. Eddie Sheehy
    ABC
    X: 1
    T: Leaving Brittany
    M: 3/4
    L: 1/8
    R: waltz
    K: Dmin
    dc |: A ~d3 fd | a ~d3 cd | A ~d3 fd | ag fe df |!
    e ~c3 =Bc | Gc cc cA | ^cd ef gf | ed cB AG |!
    A ~d3 fd | a ~d3 cd | A ~d3 fd | ag fe df |!
    e ~c3 =Bc | Gc cc cA | ^cd ec ac |1 d4 dc :|2 d3 A df |!
    |: a ~A3 df | a ~A3 df | a2 ga (3aag | a2 g2 f2 |!
    e ~c3 =Bc | Gc cc cA | ^c2 d2 e2 | e2 f2 g2 |!
    a ~A3 df | a ~A3 df | a2 ga (3aag | a2 g2 f2 |!
    e ~c3 =Bc | Gc cc cA | ^cd ec ac |1 d3 A df :|2 d3 d cd |]
  3. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Can't wait to hear it. Eddie.
  4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    You'll get more YouTube hits if you call it "Leaving Britney"

That viola d'amore is a killer instrument. With its resonance strings it sounds a bit like its remote relative, the nyckelharpa.
  5. Eddie Sheehy
    Tempted to use Bertram's Title... NOT! Played on a Gypsy OM...

6. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Very nice, Eddie! Knowing that you are one to play in whatever key you feel like, this is sounding to me like you've transposed it from Dm to Em..... I'm working on this one, but since I can't seem to get the volume up on my daughter's webcam, this will have to wait till I get home!
  7. Eddie Sheehy
    Yep, Em. Nicer on the open strings and the harmonic...
  8. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I know there are some of you who are whizzes at ABC.... could someone transpose this to Em and post it?
  9. Eddie Sheehy
    This tune was written by the late great Johnny Cunningham (RIP). He also co-wrote The Pernod Waltz with Micheal O Dhomhnaill (also RIP). Go ndeana Dia trocaire ar a n-anam.
  10. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Barbara, here is the Tabledit standard notation and tabs in Em. not sure how to export the ABCs, my version will export but my laptop then can't open it, hmmmm
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...4&d=1271622252

hope that helps, if not i will work on it again tomorrow, just got back form camp.

mike
  11. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    OK, try this

T: Leaving Brittany
    C:
    L:1/8
    Q:240
    M:3/4
    K:Em
    ed |: Ad3 fd | ad3 cd | Ad3 fd | ag fe df | ec3 =Bc | Gc cc cA | ^cd ef gf | ed cB AG | \
    Ad3 fd | ad3 cd | Ad3 fd | ag fe df | ec3 =Bc | Gc cc cA | ^cd e=c ac |1 d4 dc :|2 d3A df | \
    |: aA3 df | aA3 df | a2 ga (3aag | a2 g2 f2 | ec3 =Bc | Gc cc cA | ^c2 d2 e2 | e2 f2 g2 | \
    aA3 df | aA3 df | a2 ga (3aag | a2 g2 f2 | ec3 =Bc | Gc cc cA | ^cd e=c ac |1 d3A df :|2 d3d cd | \
    W:Created with TablEdit http://www.tabledit.com/
  12. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    that doesn't sound right, does it?
  13. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Mike, neither of those were quite right.... but, I'm sure we'll figure it out!
  14. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This is also fun to play, and cool sounding, in Dm, but played an octave lower!
  15. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    i used Eddie's ABC and moved up 2 tones, it sounds right on my MIDI player but changes when i try to export, something strange in the proportion, methinks.
  16. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Barbara, here's the tune in Em in standard notation.

http://www.box.net/shared/hy5epjeteq

It works well in Am as well. Let me know if you want that one as well.
  17. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    David, thanks, I'll have to download that when I get back to Iowa, as I don't have finale installed on this old relic of a computer I"m using down in Texas!
  18. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    I like this. I'm going to try it in Dm on my cittern, I think.
  19. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Wow, Eddie, from the viola d'amore video I'd have said this hard to reproduce on a mandolin instrument, but you did find a way and a convincing one it is. I guess since you could do that, you could also try Ladianne's "Devils Beard" and come out with a heavenly version.
  20. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I'm loving this tune! It wasn't till today, that I noticed the instrument, viola d'amore.... and all the tuning pegs it's got!
  21. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Eddie you definitely have a great ear for picking cool tunes. This one is particularly mesmerizing. Johnny Cunningham was one of my favorite fiddlers and quite the story teller as well. I had the opportunity to see him perform this live before he died. I slowed it down quite a bit but I hope it still works. Played on my Fletcher tenor guitar with guitar and bass backup.

For Finale fans, here's my version in Dm: http://www.box.net/shared/8dl3osvyv8

Sorry about the serious face, I just washed it and couldn't do a thing with it.
  22. Eddie Sheehy
    Excellent David!
  23. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    David, that was very nice!
  24. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    That TG gives it a slightly Spanish touch, mixed with angelic chords - another one of David's masterpieces! Could listen to it forever...
  25. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I love the gypsy-sounding rhythm from the fiddle at the top.
    Anyone know what that rhythm’s called? Some variety of Austrian waltz? And ideas on pick direction? :/
    Sounds like it’s too fast to play as a slip jig… or a hornpipe pick pattern maybe with triplets of D.U D.. UDU? …anyone love this too?