Farewell To Fiunary

1. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    This Gaelic air was written by the Reverend Dr Norman MacLeod (1783 - 1862), a noted Gaelic scholar and Church of Scotland minister. Lord MacLeod of Fiunary (Dr George MacLeod) was a direct descendant of Norman and was the founder in 1938 of the famous Iona Community on the island of Iona which lies just off the south of Mull and is world famous for its links to St Columba and the bringing of Christianity to Scotland!

I have arranged it here for octave mandolin with piano backing and a harmony part also on octave. It is in the keys of G and C, and in the C part I have used double stops in the melody. I am trying to create a feeling of being in a boat propelled by oars crossing the Sound of Mull from the Morvern Peninsula to the Isle of Mull.

2. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Very harp-like, John, and an interesting story, because I know this as a song from the Tannahill Weavers, which Regina and I have done in the past (not on video, however). Don't know where the lyrics are from, though.
  3. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Isn't it amazing how many tunes there are? I'd never heard this one before. The closing phrase reminds me a bit of the song, The Parting Glass.
  4. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    John, you have completely succeeded in evoking that boat journey. I do love Mull and, although I am not religious, Iona is a magical place. This beautiful piece is a fitting reminder.
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Many thanks, Bertram, Dennis and Richard.
  6. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    A very good arrangement of a tune, that has some harmonical surprises, John.
  7. harrywhohaa
    harrywhohaa
    Hi John,

Lovely, One of my favourite songs to play at a session, first heard it from the great Orkney singer/guitarist Kris Drever, takes it to quite a different place:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOOM6nxayC0
  8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Many thanks, Christian and Harry. The Hebridean ensemble you posted here comprises some of our very best musicians, Harry, and a great version they produce, especially when Kathleen MacInnes sings the Gaelic lyrics and Maggie Adamson adds her fiddle to the mix.
  9. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Love the ornamentation on this one John, very nice, and the tone too. Reminds me of a lute.

And thanks Harry, I often wonder what the professional musicians are up to, me being maybe a bit too busy practicing tunes myself.
  10. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Simon.
  11. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    You’re welcome John.
  12. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Bertram, here is a link to some fascinating(?) information about the song's lyrics, on the Sangstories website. https://sangstories.webs.com/farewelltofiunary.htm

This is a site which has a huge collection of Scottish songs in Scots, and lots of information on their history. The original composer of Farewell To Fiunary, Dr Norman MacLeod Senior, wrote English lyrics which were later translated into Gaelic by someone else.