In Memory of Herbie MacLeod

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is a Canadian waltz-time lament in A major, written by the Cape Breton fiddler Jerry Holland (1955-2009). He played it on fiddle, but my version is on octave mandolin with added mandolin harmonies. John will be pleased that there is no tremolo on the OM lead melody, but I am making up for it on the mandolin harmony...

My version is fairly similar to that at The Session, although that was not my source:

https://thesession.org/tunes/14792

Mid-Missouri M-111 octave mandolin
    Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

https://youtu.be/YTd9zW1fXvk

Martin
  2. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    The Mid-Mo octave sounds fine in your hands, Martin, no tremolo necessary!
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    What a great waltz, Martin, and a new one to me. It reminds me in places of the old Scottish tune/song Jock Stewart.
    Well played and I really like your octave playing on this one - fine tone and clean picking. Thanks too for the link to the notation. It is one I will introduce to my fiddler pals.
  4. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Christian and John! Yes, I was also reminded of "Jock Stewart" and there's a comment to that effect on The Session as well. If you want to check out Jerry Holland's own version, it's here:

https://youtu.be/5RmTBqyv8Qk

Martin
  5. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    What a lovely tune, Martin, and I really liked the arrangement (tremolo in the accompaniment works for me, and I am closer to John's school on the subject).

A question to you and all those who display their beautiful instruments in the background when they play, Martin. Do you have to do a lot of dusting? I always put everything away when I have finished playing because I find that otherwise they get filthy (plus I don't trust the cat). Not being facetious - it's a serious question.
  6. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Here's the same tune on mandolin:
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Lovely tune and playing too, Gents.
    I like the intermittent harmony on yours Christian, this tune reminds me of another, can’t think of the name.
    Lyrics about a man who’s trustworthy? Something like that.
  8. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Sounding good, Christian! Nice triplets in particular.

Simon: As John has said, the A part is reminiscent of the old Scottish song "Jack Stewart", also known as "I'm A Man You Don't Meet Every Day". Recorded by The Pogues, for example.

Rcihard: The instruments hanging on the wall are those for which I don't have decent cases. It's a moderately dusty room but as they're hanging vertically the dust doesn't really settle on the instruments, and I haven't really had any problems with having them out in the open like that. The way the windows are arranged, there isn't any direct sunlight on them, which would be more of a concern.

Martin
  9. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Christian, the mandolin version sounds great and your recording and playing certainly do the tune justice.
  10. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Very nice indeed, Christian.

Martin, I'm sure you're right that sunlight would be a much bigger danger. Mine live in the basement, so no danger of that, though I worry about flooding, so I have made an elevated instrument rack (that I sit in front of when playing and recording). I suppose I lived in dustier old houses in England, but I did find that my guitars got filthy in no time.