The Luachrachan’s Jig (Junior Crehan)

1. John W.
    John W.

I’m sure I have some recollection of at least there being some discussion of this tune somewhere on MC…but I can’t find it…hence, the start of a new thread.

Ivor Pickard Octave Mandola
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine jig and great playing. John W. I am envious of your right hand DUDDUD picking pattern I think I detect, the recommended norm for jigs. I have never got this pattern sorted out for myself so have to resort to my own picking patterns (and playing fewer jigs)!
  3. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great jig playing, John! You own a nice collection of good sounding instruments to choose from.
  4. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Fine DUDDUD-picking, John.
  5. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Very nice and jiggy, with not a finger put wrong!
  6. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    lovely John, one of my favorites that one , great sounding octave too, well played.
  7. John W.
    John W.
    Thank you very much for the expressions of appreciation guys.

John K - The DUDDUD technique is only one thing you have to envy…we are all different…if after trying to ‘get something’ it just doesn’t come, we have to accept that and move on/find a work around…it sounds like you have done the latter. There are numerous contributors to the MC SAW group, including yourself, that have many musical skills that I don’t have…and yes I can feel envious, but on reflection I can appreciate those talents and try and learn from from them.
    Frithjof - I’m glad you appreciate the instruments…I suppose as we develop and evolve we swap and change instruments in an attempt to achieve the sounds we are looking to create. When we find something we really like, we stick with it.
    Christian - Glad you appreciate the DUDDUD picking also.
    Dennis - I’m pleased that the impression created is that of ‘no fingers having been put wrong…’
    Lawrence - I think that’s a couple of your favourite tunes I picked.
  8. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    John, others have said what I would have done: immaculate picking, a lovely musical sensibility, and a gem of an instrument.
  9. John W.
    John W.
    Thanks, Richard.
  10. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Fine, grand jig playing John, really nice dynamic.
  11. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely playing John, and one of me favourite jigs that is as well!
  12. Simon DS
    Simon DS

13. Simon DS
    Simon DS

14. Simon DS
    Simon DS
  15. John W.
    John W.
    Thanks for the positive comments Jill and Simon.

And, thanks you Simon for tracking down a previous thread…as I noted, I had a recollection of it being somewhere (probably because I commented!, but couldn’t find it…).

I’m therefore concluding that the way I am searching isn’t satisfactory.

Please provide details of how to search successfully.
  16. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    No problem John. For me it was just a personal decision to be one of the last people to make a comment if anyone posts a new video while there is already a thread for the tune. But it happens all the time, human error!

I think the best way to check is to use the Internet with the name of the tune and site:mandolincafe.com
    Two problems with that system though, one is that the tune may have a different name (check the tune on this site: THESESSION) and the second is that sometimes google doesn't find the second thread.

The error occurred here because the link for the YT post wasn't pasted into OTHER TUNES list, and it isn't a SONG OF THE WEEK

It's just human error and is always very welcomed!
  17. John W.
    John W.
    Thanks Simon…

I’ve just uploaded a video to MC, having used your search tip and found Martin Jonas had recorded a version of The Foggy Dew…so I added my video to that thread. However, that thread is in ‘forum’ and not the SAW gap. Therefore, drawing upon your tech knowledge of the site, can you advise me on how to provide a link to/from that thread with SAW?
  18. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    My immediate reaction would be to do a search for 'fog' on the Other Tunes link above, on page 1 and page 2 (There are two Foggy Dew threads).
    Then I'd check the Song a Week link above, there are 3 but fog top, fog mountain, etc.
  19. John W.
    John W.
    Thanks Simon…I attached to the first thread I found in ‘other tunes’… When you use the phrase “search” do you mean that you simply have to browse through the list or is there some facility for ‘searching’ (which I haven’t figured out yet)?
  20. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Yes, the Other Tunes page(s) are a list of tunes but there are quite a lot of tunes now so I mean search -or rather use the find facility and ‘luac’ as a term, or any uncommon word in the tune’s title.
    (or ‘foggy’ for the other thread).

Sorry this is confusing, I’m trying to save my time by replying to the ‘Foggy Dew’ thread as well.
  21. John W.
    John W.
    Thanks Simon…Now my ‘idiots’ question…where is the ‘find facility’ in this context?
  22. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    John, if you are using Firefox, Safari, or Chrome, Find is an option on the drop down Edit menu. If you are using the Microsoft monstrosity (whatever they call it these days), it is probably the same, but really, why would you?
  23. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    On Safari browser to find a word on a page of text then it's: square box with arrow and then find on page.
    It's often with the 'print to' and Shortcut app. options.
    Good luck!
  24. John W.
    John W.
    Thanks Simon and Richard for the guidance...I was looking for a 'find' facility within the MC page! Additionally, I also 'missed' the fact that I could use the edit menu in chrome on my ipad..!! On top of that, I haven't been successful recently with using the 'search' (advanced) facility on the MC page... Now I'm liberated!