Regular Jams in Birmingham?

1. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Are there any?

Chris
  2. Marty Henrickson
    Marty Henrickson
    They used to have 2 jams a month at Java and Jams, a coffee shop downtown, but I think that place has either closed up or they just quit having the jams due to lack of participation. I went a couple times to the slow jam last year, but Sunday afternoons just weren't that convenient for me.
  3. CoMando
    CoMando
    Hi all. We are still having the Sunday afternoon Jams. The first Sunday of the month from 2:00 - 5:00 pm is the regular jam. It is usually well attended, although yesterday, the weather kept most away. We did have 6 or 7 pickers, but they were really good pickers. The 4th Sunday of the month from 2:00 - 5:00 pm is the slow jam. It dwindled down there for a while, but the last few months, it has grown and we have had pretty good crowds. Call us at 205 321-5282 for more info. We also regularly have bluegrass bands perform. Glad to be a part of this group. Looking forward to it.
  4. Marty Henrickson
    Marty Henrickson
    Hey, wow, cool. More proof that this is the coolest site on the 'net. I knew I should've checked my facts berore I posted. I'm glad the jams are still going. I'll have to check it out soon.
  5. Marty Henrickson
    Marty Henrickson
    PS - CoMando, I'm glad you chimed in. Also, nice pics in your albums. Will the slow jam be cancelled due to the Acoustic Cafe concert this month? If not, I'll try to be there.
  6. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    What exactly is a "slow jam"?
  7. CoMando
    CoMando
    Marty, we will not have the slow jam this month> I will be at the Acoustic Cafe. Steve came in the shop today, it should be a great festival. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I need to send something out.
  8. Marty Henrickson
    Marty Henrickson
    Thanks, I assumed that was the case as it was around this time last year that I showed up for a couple of slow jams.

A "slow jam" is simply a jam that is designated to be more conducive to beginner to intermediate players' participation. The ones I've attended seemed to work just like a regular jam, except slower. There was also a pretty broad mix of skill levels, from a professional teacher / performer (Glenn Tolbert - I took guitar flatpicking lessons from him for about 6 months last year) to absolute beginners (another one of Glenn's students was a 10-year-old girl).
  9. CoMando
    CoMando
    Chris, there are a couple of more regular jams around town. The ABMA (Alabama Bluegrass Music Association) had a monthly jam at Indian Springs School, but I hear that it has ceased. Kirby Parker, one of the local pickers and active suppporter of bluegrass has a monthly (if not more frequent) jam at his house south of B'ham, that is a good jam. I will try to get the exact details and let you know.