Monroe Style

1. banjoboy
    banjoboy
    I was fortunate enough to attend the Monroe Camp in Owensboro Sept. 11-13. It was a blast. I would encourage others to do the same next year. The instruction was great, the people were wonderful, etc. It was held in the IBMA museum. Anyway, there was discussion about Monroe style, and how it really is dying out cause everybody wants to be Adam Steffy, Chris Thile, and such. I was trying to think of Monroe stylists in the area, and really had a hard time coming up with anyone. The only ones I could think of that are truly Monroe stylists were Stu Harrick (Folk Store), John Welch (I don't even think he plays anymore). Can anybody add to this list?
  2. Nolan
    Nolan
    Kent, Tyler.... Ethan's buddy.... he plays good Monroe stye. Pete Martin can do it too. I need to learn more Monroe licks... it's just too funky sometimes.
  3. mandopete
    mandopete
    Yeah, Tyler for sure. He studied with Mike Compton. And Stu Herrick too! Another picker who can really channel Monroe is Greg Clarke from Portland. He does a mean version of Bluegrass Ramble. Also Tim Saxton with Tall Timber Grass. I heard him coping some Monroe licks this Summer up at Darrington.

Hey, I hear ya Nolan! The thing with the Monroe licks is you gotta have the timing. If you miss that it sounds like dog pucky.
  4. Nolan
    Nolan
    Like the intro to Muleskinner Blues? What the heck!?!? It's like Scruggs... if you're gonna play banjo you have to learn scruggs. Same with Monroe I guess.
  5. mandopete
    mandopete
    So Nolan, why don't you set ol' Kent straight and tell him that a banjo picker trying to play mandolin like Bill Monroe ain't no part a nuthin' !