Table Of Contents ~ Official Tune of the Week

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
  2. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
  3. Susanne
    Susanne
    I see that I have some nice tunes to catch up on here!
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Just realised how time flies past, Barbara, when I looked at the lists and realised that I had joined this great group back about week 36 and Lord Inchiquin! How time flies when we are enjoying ourselves. The Song-a-Week still keeps me working on new tunes and the atmosphere in the group is so positive from all who post here. I feel I have made so many great contacts through this group and the tunes we offer our versions of.
    I take it that your "bump" posts are a way of keeping the thread up near the top of the listings?
  5. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Time does fly! Yes, unlike the regular forum, where to moderator can make a topic 'sticky' and keep it at the top, that isn't available to me, and the 'bump' posts is the probably silly way I figured out how to do it manually!
  6. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Barbara, actually, I have seen the 'bump' function used on many other web sites, so you are right on! Terse, but effective!!
  7. Toycona
    Toycona
    My brother had saveda voice mail from our deceased dad for years with an endless string of "ahem's".
  8. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
  9. Eric Root
    Eric Root
    I am having trouble spotting where we suggest tunes of the week and where we vote.
  10. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Eric, welcome! Please read the discussion "New to Our Social Group ~Read Me First!", and you should find that info there!
  11. Eric Root
    Eric Root
    Thanks, Barbara, I didn't read that closely enough.
  12. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    What an incredible resource and fantastic Social Group Song-A-Week is!
    And all the information available in this single discussion is just mind-boggling!
    It is SO helpful to be able to listen to multiple examples of a song when trying to learn it.
    I look forward to perusing the list of songs already featured, and maybe getting something from the past posted before next week's song.
    What a great resource!
  13. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
  14. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
  15. tbhoy1973
    tbhoy1973
    Hi

I'm new to mandolin and to this site. Great selection of tunes and good videos as well but what songs would you recommend for a beginner such as myself to start with. Some of these seem a bit advanced for me.
  16. peterangell
    peterangell
    Hi TBH, I only started 2 months ago, and my first tunes were Whiskey Before Breakfast and Fishers Hornpipe - they were great fun to learn, and there are lots of helpful videos on Youtube for these - also there is a Newbies group on the Cafe you might like to check out!
  17. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
  18. Njugglebreck
    Njugglebreck
    As a complete newcomer here- I wish I'd found this site years ago!! It's fantastic- well done everybody

Is there any (unwritten) etiquette to posting any of the previous tunes? Theres a good few of the older ones that I'm familiar with and have slightly different versions of - I'm hoping it will be OK to try a few of them?
    Instrument wise- would my tenor banjo be OK to start with (I can switch about, but feel a lot more comfortable with her). I'll maybe risk the mandolin once I get the initial nerves out of the way.....

Jim
  19. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Barbara keeps it really easy going and friendly around here, Jim. It's fun to see the old tunes resurface and often inspires me to go back and learn one I skipped. Lots of people post tunes that aren't even a tune of the week and that's fun to see too. There are tons of instruments that make appearances--tenor banjos being one of the most popular. There are also mando banjos, tenor guitars, mandolas, mandocellos, and fiddles--and that's just in the solo clips. For accompaniment there are tin whistles, concertinas, guitars, banjos, bowed basses, and so on. I've been here for over three years and never once heard a disparaging comment, so don't hesitate to join in with whatever you feel like sharing. I'm looking forward to hearing the banjo.
  20. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Marcelyn has said it all, Jim. Post and enjoy!
  21. Mike Scott
    Mike Scott
    So.............are we played out?????? Bring on some more ITM - Hah ha
  22. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
  23. Andrew_L_Smith
    Andrew_L_Smith
    Hi Barbara,

Hope you're well.

I only found this great forum yesterday, it seems many players have contributed to an enormous wonderful body of work here, everyone should be very proud, especially yourself.

There are 236 or so tunes, that is enough for 6 years study if you take the academic year@40 weeks!

Therefore you could offer a Master of Mandolin degree, no, make that a PhD to anyone who had submiited them all!
    What is the current suggestion for newbies /noobs / new chums / boot campers etc?

There is about 5 year back log, so where should we, the 'noobs', begin? It would be too easy just to cherry pick the list, I think.

Anyway congratulations on the group, and thanks for all you hard work so far.
  24. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    bump.

In reply to Andrew.... welcome! You can approach this collection of tunes any way you would like! There is no rhyme or reason to the order they have been presented; it's been by weekly voting. So, there's nothing wrong with picking and choosing which tunes appeal to you! And, don't forget the hundreds and hundreds of 'other tunes' that have also been submitted!

Take a little time to read through the 'New to Our Social Group ~ Read Me First" discussion, as it has many helpful hints as to how to make your videos, etc!
  25. Uncle Choppy
    Uncle Choppy
    I've just read the above mentioned New to our Social Group? ~ Read Me First!! discussion. I didn't know it existed and found it really helpful!

Maybe it's just me but I do seem to have a problem finding anything using the 'cafe search function and usually resort to a Google search of the site.

Given that I may not have been alone in missing it, is there any chance of the "read me first" discussion being made a "sticky" (i.e. permanently at the top of the discussion topics) along with any other useful stuff like this table of contents?

Apologies if this has been requested before, or if it's not possible.

EDIT: Having read your reply (below), I'll add a comment here rather than compound my error by making a further post in the wrong area.
    I apologise for missing the reference to the "New to our Social Group" post in the intro paragraph. My mistake 100%.
    In my defence, I was just trying to highlight the usefulness of the post and was wondering if it could be given a higher priority so that other newbies who may have missed it might benefit. Thanks for replying and sorry for my faux pas.
  26. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This is the description and introduction to our group; the first paragraph that comes up when you open this group!:

Welcome! Every week we'll have an official Tune of the Week. This will be a great way to learn new tunes, show off skills, and see others at work. All skill levels & genre are welcome!

We also accept submissions of tunes other than the Song of the Week. If you've got a favorite tune, please submit it, with the name of the tune as the subject of a new discussion.

Start by finding & reading the post "New to Our Social Group? ~ Read Me First!"

We have three 'TABLE of CONTENTS' discussions with links to the discussions. I try to keep these discussions on the first page of discussions. There is a discussion called "Poll Tune Suggestions" where you can suggest tunes for me to add to the poll list.

Search through the different tunes already posted, and please submit your videos & mp3's on any tunes posted, whether it's a song of the week, or one of the other tunes!

In addition to posting videos, we love chatting, too, so talk about whatever is on your mind!
    -----

If only I could make anything sticky in this forum; sadly, it's not an option. I have to go in manually, and I use the 'bump' to bring a discussion back to the top of the page. I try to keep these TABLE OF CONTENTS discussions limited to just the table of contents, and not discussing (tsk, tsk!). That way, I think it is easier to navigate. The 'bump' posts, and then the 'deleted' bump posts show up (cluttering it up) until, about twice a year, I have the owner of the site go in and clean it up. I would prefer, when members have things to ask, note, or whatever, that they would start that as a new discussion, or if it's something that has already been started, as a reply in THAT discussion, and not in these table of contents discussions! It makes more sense, that way. I have to manually put these discussions into the table of contents, and I think that things are more easily found, if the discussions are aptly titled, and then have their own link in these table of contents.

I think the cafe search function is best utilized going to 'advanced search', where there are more options.
  27. Eric Michael Pfeiffer
    Eric Michael Pfeiffer
    awesome...what a list....does these lists also include links to the tabs and notation of each tune? This way I can print it out and learn it.
  28. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    The Table of Contents (all three of them) are not only lists of the discussions, but also are clickable links to the discussions themselves. Just click on them!

For you new members, I suggest finding the "New To Our Social Group? ~ Read Me First!!" discussion (yes, that's a link to the discussion) and read through how this group works, and the best way to utilize it!
  29. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
  30. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
  31. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
  32. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
  33. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
  34. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz