Week #396 ~ Drive the Cold Winter Away

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Drive the Cold Winter Away, which was submitted as an English tune. I am not familiar with this tune, and I am on the road posting from my phone, so I will depend on some of our other members to help find some links to notation and videos! Thanks!
  2. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is a tune from Playford's English Dancing Master (First Edition, 1651, and all subsequent editions), which also goes by the name "In Praise of Christmas". It's a country dance as well as a Christmas carol.

Words and tune are here: Link

Another version, in four-part harmony, is here: Link

Although it's an English tune, the outstanding recorded version of it is by the Irish band Horslips: it's the title track of their all-acoustic 1975 Christmas album, and also gets reprised on their 1976 concept album "The Book Of Invasions":

Martin
  3. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I originally posted this in the Christmas tunes thread back in 2010.

4. Dick Dery
    Dick Dery
    Here's a link for abcnotation.com:

http://abcnotation.com/searchTunes?q...ay&f=c&o=a&s=0
  5. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    David, that's a wonderful version of a beautiful tune.
  6. Bob Michel
    Bob Michel
    Lovely interpretation from David, as always.

I did some overdubbing as well, making sure to include a uke--my instrument of choice for driving cold winter away.

Bob Michel
    Near Philly
  7. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Here is my recording from the winter of 2015.
  8. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Bump!!!
  9. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Looks like the last entry was four years ago.
    So in order to keep all of our work together we post Song A Week #536 here, right??
  10. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Simon, thanks for pointing that out! Something about WINTER that makes people want to play this tune! I try really hard not to have duplicate official Song of the Weeks... but, it has happened before, and will probably happen again! This tune is again Song of the Week, 4 years after the first time.... so, lets try to keep the new submissions together on that one....here's the link!