Two Shetland Reels.

1. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    My thanks to John Ritchhart who posted his recording of Robertson's Reel on the Celtic, UK, (etc) section of the forum along with another great Scottish tune as Scottish Reels, and to Bren who mentioned Colgrave Soond in the same thread as a tune that goes well with it. My version of Colgrave's Soond is from a transcription by Nigel Gatherer and the notation for Robertson's Reel came via Aidan Crossey (another regular poster of Irish music here) who put up transcriptions in A and G on John R's thread. Thank you all, gents.

Photos are of my local area overlooking the Firth of Clyde, taken on 4th and 5th January, first of all from the forest above then from the Holy Loch shoreline. A magic place to be during lockdown!

2. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Two fine reels, expertly played,John!
  3. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Still working hard. These are very nice, John. Nice and swingy, great rhythm.
    What is this Celtic section you mention? I don't know about that. You can email me if you like, I just sent you some music.
    You took pictures of the Firth of Clyde on the Fourth and Fifth? Your language is a tongue twister.
  4. Bren
    Bren
    Very nice John, much nicer than the thrashing I give them.

Ginny, just be thankful he wasn't crossing the Firth of Forth from Fife, 4th or 5th of the 1st.
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Christian, Ginny and Bren. Sorry about the tongue twister, Ginny. It's a Scottish thing, I reckon. As Bren says, it could have been worse.
    Ginny, the Celtic section can be accessed from the Forum menu on the top of the page - next to Classifieds. Click on Forum then scroll down till you get to "Celtic, UK,Nordic, Quebecois, European Folk.

6. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one John!
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Fine playing with a warm optimistic upbeat. Thanks John. I like these tunes, the melodies seem to have something special about them.
  8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Jill and Simon. They are two tunes that just seem to go together so well, blending seamlessly. Thanks to Bren once again for the idea - he plays Spootiskerry in the set as well, I believe. No, I am not going to record a new version; I have Spootiskerry already here away back in the mists of time, played in a set along with Willafjord.
  9. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Jolly and lighthearted tunes, played in style. I picture some fat fishermen dancing Gangnam style to that

Ginny, re tongue twisters: be glad John is not living in the east, or else he might have taken photos of the Firth of Forth, on the 4th and 5th...
  10. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    ... and you just learnt those tunes in a couple of days and created an inch-perfect rendition for a recording. Just like that. That's how the real musicians stand out from the crowd. Well played!
  11. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I have to admit I have not actually learned them yet, Dennis - played them from the downloaded scores a few times to get the feel of them and sort out any fingering issues. I liked the change from D to A major so that was the order decided, then I recorded them; several takes to get to the stage I was happy with the tempo.