Week #79 ~June Apple

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner, by a landslide, is June Apple.

Here is a link to the standard notation and ABC on abcnotation.com

Here is the ABC from that site:

X: 121
    T: June Apple
    R: reel
    M: C|
    L: 1/8
    K: AMix
    eg |: "A"ageg ageg | aged cdef | "G"gfef gfef | gagf e2eg |
    "A"ageg ageg| aged cBAA | "G"G2GA BAG2 |1 "A"A3BA2 eg :|2"A"A3BA2 ed||
    |: "A"c2cB A2AB | c2cd e2A2| "G"G2A2 Bc3 |"D" d3ed4 |
    "A"cdcB A2AB | cBcd e2A2 | "G"GFGA "(E)" BAG2 |1"A"A3BA2ed:|2"A"A6|]

I'm just learning to play this tune for this week's tune of the week, but I do have a couple of good renditions of it in my CD collection, one being Butch Baldassari & David Schnaufer's Appalachian Mandolin & Dulcimer.
  2. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I learned this tune two weeks ago since I already knew "Hewlett".

3. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That was awsome, David. It had just the feel I would like to try for. The question is,which tune are you going to learn this week.
  4. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    That is one of your best ones yet David.
  5. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    June Apple .tef for Standart Notation and TABs

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...0&d=1288377167
  6. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    I'm getting behind with the tunes, but I don't mind when the Mandonator strikes! Great stuff as always David...
  7. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Here's a Youtube video that might be helpful. I'm still trying to figure out that entro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUF0YGUUj4s could
  8. jhuesgen
    jhuesgen
    Marcelyn, to answer your question to David, I do not think he needs to learn anything hehe. Seems to be on top of things all the time since i been looking at this forum (sometime before joining it myself).
  9. Doghearty
    Doghearty
    Great tune. Wish I could play it fast.......
  10. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one, David!
  11. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    David, what a bouncy feel you've got going on there! Just perfect for the mandonator. Great job again! Here's June Apple played on a Kentucky mandolin backed up by my Simon & Patrick bluegrass guitar. I've known this tune for many years.

Jill McAuley's playing has inspired me to learn Redican's Mother. (Well, I've figured out where the notes are, and how to finger it. Now all I've got to do is get it up to speed...!)

12. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    David and Michael: thanks for two excellent - yet very different - demonstrations. And played and recorded with a sound quality that can hardly be beaten.
  13. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    David & Michael, those were both wonderful! Ya'll are going to scare off the 'beginners' from submitting their videos, these both are so professionally done!
  14. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great version there Michael! Your Kentucky sounds great (is it a 505?) and I love the apple in the background - the setting almost looks like a painting with the very dark background! Setting the bar high indeed sir!
  15. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Exactly, Barbara, that's why I take great pains to include at least one blatant flub in each of my posts.

That's a great rendition Micheal, I like the different ways you play the melody eeach time. Thanks, both of you guys for such fun recordings to practice with.
  16. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    I often feel like a beginner! There are so many wonderful tunes here and I don't know any of them. It's always an effort to learn a new song and seeing others go through the same struggle somehow helps me get thru the process. Thank you SAW!

Jill, I looked at the label and it's a Kentucky KM600. I got it used in the 1980s to play bluegrass with. As for the setting, it's my same old cluttered den only darkened so you won't see the mess. I have a reading lamp that I use for lighting when I make a video. Kind of film noir isn't it?

Marcelyn, can't wait to hear your version...
  17. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Somebody's got to lower the tone, might as well be me!

18. jhuesgen
    jhuesgen
    After Seeing David and Michael's two posts, my first thought is "I Quit!" lol, I went to a guitar workshop two days ago given by Tim May and Dan Miller (publisher and editor of Flatpicking Guitar Magazine) and thought the same thing. Those two were amazing, maybe someday I can pick that fast and improv too
  19. jhuesgen
    jhuesgen
    The thought of improv just gives me nightmares of High school Jazz band all over again hehe
  20. jhuesgen
    jhuesgen
    Which reminds me one time when in High school 10 years ago, My band director said: "Jeff, stop rushing!" and I replied "I'm not Russian, I'm American." Anytime I run into an old band friend, they tell me they still talk and laugh about that comment.

but anyways, his comment holds true to today. I often find myself and other musicians playing tunes a little too fast. Fast is nice, but when done slower, there are so many more notes you can make more musically. I guess us beginners learn tunes then speed them up to early not really giving our muscle memory and brains a chance to completely wrap around the melody. I will use this approach to this tune!
  21. jhuesgen
    jhuesgen
    David Hansen, you are getting really good with those video effects! Before we know it, you will just start doing music videos with action shots of you walking crosswalks and have a story line like rock music videos.
  22. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Tosh, you're not lowering the tone at all sir - great job on that one!
  23. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Trying out my new Zoom H2. Audio quality is much better than my laptop mic was. Still trying to figure out multi-track recording. There are more mistakes in the second video than I'd like but that was the third take and I'm hungry! LOL

On the octave:

Mando with octave backup:
    coming soon
  24. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Well done Tosh. That's a very good version of June Apple.
    Sgarrity: This tune sounds quite lovely on your octave mandolin. Can't wait to hear the Mandolin and Octave mandolin together.
  25. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Thanks for the kind words Jill & Michael. Great stuff Shaun, only third take? I'd still be struggling at take 29 especially on an Octave or Dola or Cello, in fact I couldn't do it!
  26. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    great octave version there, Shaun, very warm sounding in that lower register!
  27. Eddie Sheehy
    Nice versions there lads!
  28. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here's mine, inspired by Butch Baldassari & David Schnaufer on their Appalachian Mandolin & Dulcimer CD.

I didn't have time for Garage Band, multi-tracking and click tracks, this was the 2nd take, and that's it.... probably all over the place, tempo-wise, but you get the idea!

29. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Barbara, cleanly picked as always. And your tempo was fine. Hey, I had a guy show up at session last week with a Collings (not sure of model) with a serial number of 130! He bought it new.
  30. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Nothing wrong with that Barbara and what better inspiration than Appalachian Mandolin & Dulcimer? A fantastic CD.
  31. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Very pretty intro and a good arrangement. Yours is the perfect mandolin for this tune!
  32. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Well done Barbara, and I could listen to the lovely tone you get from your Collings all day long.
  33. Eddie Sheehy
    Cool intro and fine pickin' Barb...
  34. jhuesgen
    jhuesgen
    Okay, only took about 2 hours, but I think mine is about ready to be recorded (Just not now because everyone is asleep but soon). I recorded a rhythm track with my "POS" mic to my PC. Came up with the rhythm before even sight reading the music just based off the chord progression, then built my version around that (after sight reading the music to get an idea of the melody). Should be interesting to see how it all comes together once the camera comes on...
  35. jhuesgen
    jhuesgen
    Looks like I will get my Video up Wednesday due to voting, to much to do around the house, and work today
  36. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Barbara, great picking and the Colling's just get's better and better. Nice intro, also!
    Sean, love the octave version and looking forward to the mando/octave version soon.....
    Stuche, that Kentucky sounds really great and it's obvious you've known this tune for awhile and David: MANDONATOR! Nothing more to say
  37. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Oh, there is more to say...TOSH I'm still loving that 10 string! Sounds great!
  38. tnt2002
    tnt2002

Here's my version, playing with Band in a Box.

I enjoyed this one, and am looking forward to next week!

Tom
  39. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Way to go Tom!
  40. jhuesgen
    jhuesgen
    tnt2002 great job! great job to everyone. Guess I shall start recording mine now, see if I can add effects to it too. I do not have a band in a box, but using Audacity, I recorded myself on guitar to play in the background.
  41. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Great stuff, Tosh, sgarrity, Barbara, and TNT.
    Here is my effort:

Next try:
  42. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Manfred I couldn't see the vid, it says 'this video is unavailable'. Love to see it....
    Well played Tom, and like Jhuesgen, I use Audacity. Whatever the program, there is a lot of creativity here, which I love.
    Rob, the 10 is just fine, loving it to bits.......
  43. jhuesgen
    jhuesgen
    I do not know how the rest of you do it??? every time I try to record myself, the dog barks, someone talks or laughs in the background, someone knocks on the door and ruins every take. this is frustrating.
  44. jhuesgen
    jhuesgen

Decided to be different, played like a fiddle tune in the key of A then B .

Well I tried my best with all the noise distractions today. I know tomorrow will be no different, but it is time to move on. I have a lot of other tunes to work on (can not get stuck on this one). I could not for the life of me get the rhythm track I prerecorded to properly line up with the audio of the video, nor do I have the time right now to keep tweaking it, so hopefully you still like it (its off only by hundreths of a beat I think). I decided to leave a mistake because in music, mistakes can be musical if the audience does not know you did not mean to , sound like improvisation. I find that I stop tapping my feet and start moving my head to keep time, looks weird. the things you learn when you tape yourself!
  45. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    I use Audacity Jeff, and there is a setting that makes the tracks line up properly. Haven't used it for a while so I'll have a look this weekend and record something. Don't worry about mistakes, all part of the learning curve and recording yourself isn't easy under pressure. Anyway you got it down and the key change is interesting.
    Manfred, I can see it now, and it was worth the wait. The Eastman sounds great......
  46. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Wow, this week inspired a bunch of fun posts, and it's only Thursday. I've enjoyed listening to everyone''s variations. Here's mine on an Old Wave. The off-camera ukulele is curtesy of my husband Jeff.

47. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Great playing eveyone! Loved hearing this tune on the Nator, octave, ff hole and oval hole mandolins. Lots of different tones and approaches--wonderful. And uke backup too. This is a wonderful group, isn't it?

Here's my version, with a bit of Monroe thrown in the second time through. Hey, I even got it done on time!

I'm playing a Campanella Dué mandolin. Recorded using my Zoom H2 right into iMovie.
  48. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    I'm with Marcelyn, what a bunch of inspired posts! If someone had to come up with a super version on June Apple, they need go no further than this page for ideas! So many interesting variations and all played really well. Can't wait till next week's tune. (And hopefully more of June Apple too.) If you haven't voted this week go check it out. It's nearly a tie between three fine songs.
  49. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Great stuff Marcelyn & Don, have to agree with the variations being so inspiring, everyone brings something different to the table! I agree Michael on the tune selection, whichever one wins it will be a pleasure to have a bash at it..........
  50. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Nice mandolin, Don. It sounds lovely, although half of that credit goes to your playing I'm sure.

As for the close race, I've already started practicing the pick I predict to hold the lead. We'll see how that horse finishes.

Woah! I just checked this morning and it's a neck and neck tie. Looks like Barbara might need some of Micheal's Solomon-like wisdom to divine the winner again this week.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast