Bodmin Riding

1. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Here’s a dandy little Cornish tune (I can’t say that word with thinking of vanilla icecream).

From thesession.org
    This is noted as ‘Trumpet Tune’ in the ‘Delightful Pocket Collection for the German Flute’ , collected and edited by Bremner, 1763……available in the Glen collection on NLS site.

The book’s here, anyone know how to download the book?
    https://digital.nls.uk/special-colle...chive/87916168

https://youtu.be/s5EXOxn0CMo
  2. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    And I thought, you had misspelled Bad Moon rising, Simon. Fine tune you play with your usual drive.
  3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Very nice, Simon!

There's a PDF download link for the entire book on the page you have linked. I've just tried it, and it works fine. 228 pages, 21.1 MBytes.

Martin
  4. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Many thanks Gents!
    Hey Christian, it’s actually possible that the writer of the song Bad Moon Rising did know some Cornish tunes, this one being quite popular!
    Thanks again Martin, I’m using my iPhone and the left side of the page didn’t show up. That is some tunebook!

Oh and admission time for me.
    This is the first tune I’ve learned solely from notation! A very different experience and the main reason my tone was all over the place.

And very strange because an hour after ‘learning’ the tune I’d completely forgotten it.
    Somehow the notation notes are going straight to my fingertips without being named and without any confirmation from the old cerebral cortex…
  5. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    great playing Simon
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A catchy wee tune there Simon, and played with your usual fluency. Congratulations on your immersion in notation too.
  7. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Simon wrote: "This is the first tune I've learned solely from notation! A very different experience and the main reason my tone was all over the place."

Sounds good to me, your tone sounds fine. Congrats on the notation!

- Jess
  8. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Lawrence John and Jess, yes reading notation is another level!
    I found myself exhausted from all the concentration (not relaxed at all) but the next day my listening skills seemed to have improved.