The Furness Waltz

1. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    This is a tune from the Cumberland and Westmoreland region of England. I recently heard it played by a couple of my fiddler friends locally here. I believe it is a popular tune among clog dancers in the Furness area..

Played on mandolin, with guitar and 2nd mandolin track added as backing.

2. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    delightful John
  3. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Two minutes and fifty four seconds of peace and relaxation listening to a beautiful waltz, played and arranged masterfully, John.
  4. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Love this tune, John. It has some beautiful arrangement and instrument choices and the length of it is perfect to get the melody stuck in my head for the day now.
  5. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    I do love a good waltz, lovely stuff John!
  6. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    It’s my little bit of meditation for the day, many thanks again John.
  7. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Many thanks, all of you.
  8. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Beautiful waltz and played the same way! I like your arrangementt here John, the mix really adds to the flavour of this piece.
  9. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Frank. Waltzes, along with slow airs, give us more scope to put a bit extra into the performance, I always think.
  10. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks, John. Great how you implement the second mandolin. I also like the octave change in the B-part for some measures.

It’s fun to play along with you. The Session has it. But you play it different in some details.
  11. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Frithjof. Glad you are playing along - keeps the tunes alive.
  12. bbcee
    bbcee
    Well-played, John. I like the interplay between the mandolins. Good sustain on both of them, a nice way to approach the melody as opposed to using tremolo.
  13. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Many thanks, Bruce. As you know, I am not a regular exponent of tremolo though I do use it in live sessions when the mandolin might be struggling against three or four fiddles on slower tunes!
  14. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    Very nice!
  15. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Kay.
  16. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Hello Kay, nice icon!
  17. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    It has that triangular feel of a dancefloor full of three-legged people orbiting the spot they happen to stand on in sync. Very pleasant.