Breaking Bad Habits

1. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Following video by Josh Turknett is an example of why I continue subscribing to his "Brainjo" emails and lessons, despite having sold my 5-string several years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM1bkr1pdP4

If the frequent jumps and chops in the video are bothersome, a computer generated transcript can be found here: https://www.brainjo.academy/brainjo-...k-a-bad-habit/

Being primarily self-taught in both banjo and mandolin, I have plenty of bad habits, so you can understand my interest.
  2. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    I suspect we all have bad habits - except maybe Louise.
  3. TTT
    TTT
    Trying not to start bad habits! Still working on posture - I think I’m twisting to look at my left hand and that’s bothering my back. I might try practicing while standing up for a while.
  4. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    Louise has plenty of bad habits!

Interesting article, Henry. Thanks for sharing it. When you discover a wrong note in a passage, for instance, think how many times you have played it incorrectly. How many times do you have to play it right to erase the old way from your muscle memory? More times than you played it wrong.

TTT, good approach. Something as fundamental as how you sit and how you hold the instrument is hell to try to change later on. Take the time to learn it right at first. Standing up seems to be exactly what Mr. Brainjo is talking about: change something else while you work on building the new habit.
  5. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    Many many more times, according to Brad Laird.
    One of the first tunes I learned was Arkansas Traveller. I've been playing a wrong note in the last phrase the whole time. Very hard to correct, especially when playing along with the backing track. I thought about just calling it improvisation and moving forward
  6. Stacey Morris
    Stacey Morris
    Thanks for the link, Henry.
  7. NDO
    NDO
    My biggest bad habit so far is reading the classified ads.
    I *might* have an F style showing up in a few days.
  8. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    Ha. I have one in hand. 1913 F2. It's amazing.
  9. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Congratulations, Sue!

You had a NMD yesterday.
    I had a NFBMD yesterday (new furnace blower motor day).
  10. NDO
    NDO
    Nice Sue!
  11. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    Thanks, Henry & Don.
    Ugh, Henry, HVAC problem are no fun. At least it's done before it gets too cold, though.
    Don, what are you getting ... or do we have to wait and see?
  12. NDO
    NDO
    Nothing super fancy… I’ve been wanting to try an F, and an Eastman MD-415bk with a pickup came up in the classifieds so I jumped on it. I don’t love the pickups on any of my current mandos so I thought I’d try a different one. I’d love it if this turns out to be my amp gigging mando. Otherwise I’m going to have to invest in a ToneDexter or something to improve the amplified sound.
  13. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    I know nothing about amplified instruments. Jake had a 50's Kay electric mandolin in his shop yesterday that I was kind of interested in checking out (just to see - it was already sold to someone else), but there wasn't really time. I wanted to get home before dark.
  14. NDO
    NDO
    I’ve been seriously considering getting an El Ray for the fun of it.
  15. NDO
    NDO
    NMD! The new mando arrived last night, fortuitously in the middle of band practice, so I got the chance to plug it in and play it through the PA already. I like! It’s actually louder than my other mandos unplugged, and the pickup on it sounded good, so I’m going to try it in a gig tonight.
  16. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    Yay!!
  17. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    Pix or it didn't happen!
  18. NDO
    NDO
    Oops! I haven’t collected any photographic evidence yet but it sounded great in the gig last night and at the after party
  19. JeffLearman
    JeffLearman
    Breaking bad habits -- the story of my life. Oh wait, no, TRYING to break bad habits, or THINKING about breaking bad habits, that's the story.