Summertime

1. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    I looked and was kinda suprised to not find this tune as a SAW. A little out of season... Thanks for the Listen!
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    What a swinging version, Frank, complete with that Hammond Organ sound (a la Jimmy Smith) and the walking bassline. Are you playing all the instruments on this one? Mandolin improvisation is really well put together.
  3. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    wonderful Frank
  4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    It's not out of season if you saunter down Avenida Princesa Isabel, Rio de Janeiro, heading for Copacabana beach - and it's perfect for that.
  5. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Brilliant, Frank!
  6. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Professional sounding production Frank, Nice feel.
  7. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Well done Frank... hope you don't mind that I post my contribution to this song. It was recorded around July of 2014. I played my Baeur parlor guitar and the trusty Kentucky mandolin. I think I put it up on the SAW group previously, but couldn't find it either.

https://youtu.be/qm_TPkoYvmA
  8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A great delivery, Michael, with some lovely improvising too! Filming rather tasty too!
  9. Simon DS
    Simon DS
  10. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Two great versions of this Gershwin classic with lots of improvisation. I was certain that I had also contributed a version in Week 268 but didn't find anything.
    Bit I did a version in Season 338 of Ukulele Underground where the topic was Willie Nelson:
  11. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Thank you guys for those kind remarks. John, get out of my head! As soon as I heard this backing track I thought of one of my biggest music influences, Jimmy Smith, and I couldn't wait to play along with that Hammond. Michael ; That had me sippin' tea at the plantation, soo smooth! Christian: What is that! a uke? That was different for sure.
  12. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Christian, another fine version there. That lead sounds like a guitar on overdrive or distortion; how did you get that sound?
  13. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    That was my ukulele with a low d-string playing the backup. The melody was played by my Eastwood Astrojet tenor guitar through a POD modeling preamp. This device can create those slightly overdriven sounds, that I never could coaxe from a real tube amp. But nowadays, I prefer the sound of acoustic instruments: