Week #36 ~ Lord Inchiquin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Lord Inchiquin, a Turlough O'Carolan tune.

Here's a site to familiarize yourself with Turlough O'Carolan.

Here's the ABC from www.thesession.org

X: 1
    T: Lord Inchiquin
    M: 3/4
    L: 1/8
    R: waltz
    K: Dmaj
    A2|d2 de fe|d2 ed cB|A2 F2 A2|f4 e2|
    d2 ed cB|A2 G2 F2|G2 BA GF|E4 ag|
    f3e d2|d2 c2 B2|A2 F2 A2|f4 e2|
    d2 ed cB|Ad3 F2|E4 D2|D4:|
    |:A2|AB cd e2|e2 d2 e2|f2 d2 f2|e4 d2|
    de fg a2|a2 b2 g2|f3d f2|e4 d2|
    de fg a2|a2 b2 g2|f3g e2|d4 f2|
    gf e2 e2|e2 f2 d2|c2 d2 B2|A2 a2 g2|
    f3e d2|d2 c2 B2|A2 F2 A2|g4 fe|
    d2 ed cB|Ad3 F2|E4 D2|D4:|

Here's a link to standard notation

This is a favorite of mine, I'll try to find some time (nap time for my 2 year old granddaughter maybe!)
  2. Tom Tax
    Tom Tax
    For those, like me, who don't know this tune, here's a mandola performance.

http://www.mandozine.com/resources/m...uffmandola.php

The only tab I've found is here:
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/tab/inch.txt
  3. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Here's my most recent version.

4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    For those of us who can do with a hearing sample, there is an older recording of Barb's, and a nice one it is

...and while I typed, David provided another one
    Wonderfully light and happy version, David - I guess that's exactly what O'Carolan had in mind.

This seems to be adressing the larger instruments, and I shall take the challenge - will take me some time, though.
  5. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    lovely stuff there, David! I especially like when the concertina comes in....
  6. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Here's a nice version I found with tenor banjo/guitar:

and here's one by the Nashville Mandolin Ensemble, featuring the late, great Butch Baldassari:

7. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    David, great playing and multi-instrument arrangement.
  8. Jim Kirkland
    Jim Kirkland
    Nice David.
  9. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    David, that's great!
    I have already played along with you. Would you mind if I recorded a duet?
    The only problem would be getting in sync on the first bar
  10. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I really enjoyed that version, David.
  11. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Another tune I have picked up from this very site! It is a great source of materials we might otherwise miss. Here is a version, on my octave mandolin, with pictures taken in my back garden during the recent snows. Say "Aaahhh!" all together, now.

Have a great New year, everybody.
  12. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    John.... great playing, lovely photos!
  13. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Worked on this one today - first ever O'Carolan tune I've attempted, it was great craic and now I want to learn more! Busted out the trusty old Pomeroy for this one. It's still in desperate need of new strings - I've no excuses as I've a pack on the bookshelf crying out to be put on it, but I'm just too lazy!

14. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    John that was lovely! Sounds so appropriate for the season! Your octave sounds the business as well!
  15. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Barbara and Jill. Always good to hear from others who are themselves very good players. That mando has a great tone, Jill.
  16. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    John, as requested, I'm saying AHHHH. Especially liked the one with the robin. There is much snow in our garden as well, and practising this tune makes the sight more bearable (did I mention I don't like snow? ), kind of seems to fit together: frozen nature and a dance from a time of powdered wigs and lace cuffs, when dances looked like Tai Chi Chuan compared to modern Irish dancing.

However, Jill, you managed to squeeze in the odd triplet here and there, making the dancers' feet itch
  17. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Very nice, Jill and John.
    Two different instruments and tempos - both great to listen to.
  18. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    I like this tune. Here's mine...

19. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Well done Chris - that was awesome! I really like the tremelo!
  20. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Once again a very good rendition, Chris. It's great how traditional tunes travel so well and can offer so many ways of being interpreted, and all equally valid if played well. Look forward to your next offerings.
  21. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Here goes. Sorry for the grainy picture, but my cheap webcam just goes south on me at petroleum lantern luminosity levels.
    I found that this is one of those tunes that sing their own title. Try and sing "Lord Inchiquin" with the last for notes F2|E4 D2|D4

22. Eddie Sheehy
    Lord Inchiquin played on an Eastman DG1.

23. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Very nice Bertram and Eddie, O'Carolan would be proud.
  24. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    great stuff lads!
  25. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    Great playing from all above.
  26. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Another two well-played versions,and again slightly different. Well done, both!
  27. Susanne
    Susanne
    Very nice, everyone!! Bertram, is that your Fylde OM?
  28. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks all. Yes, Susi, that's the Fylde. Try and read the logo on the headstock
  29. chrisblack
    chrisblack
    There's some great playing above - I can't get my head around waltz's so it may be a while before i post something..

Chris
  30. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Here's my go at it. I've been enjoying all your renditions of this. Excuse me for having to sight-read this, I just couldn't keep it straight otherwise.

31. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Good job, OS... especially considering O'Carolan isn't normally 'your thing!' Is that you actually playing the backup, or is it generated some other way?
  32. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks Barbara. That's all me, I'm playing bass, guitar and another mandolin in the background.
  33. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    OS, I figured as much. Great job on all accounts! I was wondering if, of the people who submit videos with backup accompaniment (you know who you are!), are they all real instruments, played by you or someone else? I was wondering if there are computer programs where you just plug in the chords you want played, where you want them, and they are generated into a recording
  34. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Barbara, the software Band-in-a-Box does just that. It is not cheap, but has unbelievable capabilities.

It is of course even better if you can do everything yourself like OS, David Hansen and others.

Great playing of everyone above.

It will take me a couple of days to submit mine. David Hansen has graciously granted permission to use his version so I can play a duet with him and his 'band'.
  35. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Manfred, I think you can probably do it with Garage Band (on a Mac, which I just recently got) too, I was just wondering if any of our submitters did that....
  36. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    From what I've seen of GarageBand, although you might be able to do it, it would be a considerable technical challenge. I'm no expert on that, though. There is a Mac version of Band In A Box.
  37. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I'm not really wanting to DO it, I actually am hoping to improve my rhythm playing on my cittern & OM (I've really only played melody up to this point), so I think it's got to be good practice to work on all parts, recording, etc. Just wondering if any of our posters utilized any kind of program that does the backup, or if all who were submitting videos with backup, was of live instruments.
  38. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    What a lovely melody and a bunch of sweet performances! Wish I had time to join in the fun these days.
  39. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    OS, that was awesome! Really nice job sir!
  40. Eddie Sheehy
    I cheated a little, my vid is a few months old. I don't even have that mando anymore... still, at least I feel I'm contributing...
  41. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Barb, I once used the built-in instruments of GarageBand in this recording. It takes a little bit of practise to use the computer keyboard for playing them and to deal with the slightly delayed reaction. All in all, I'd rather use real instruments for accompaniment, like I did in the middle tune in the set.
  42. Susanne
    Susanne
    I tried Garage Band for the first time just before Christmas (although I've been a Mac user since 2007) and was deeply impressed!!! I'll definitely do it again, and will see if it works with my external sound card.
  43. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Better late than never.

Here is my Duet with David Hansen, accompanied by his 'band'.
    Thanks David!
  44. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Manfred, that was great! Lovely tremeloes..... and great accompaniment to the great David Hansen Band!
  45. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    great job, Manfred - that was the business!
  46. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Manfred, there's something about that arrangement that is vaguely familiar to me. Great job.
  47. Susanne
    Susanne
    Here's me on the whistle. No good start and some squeaks, I'm only learning the whistle (as everything else!) so bear with me...
    I've seen a thousand different spellings of this lord's name, anyone knows which one is correct?

48. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Lovely, Susi - never give up!
    O'Carolan's "Lord Inchiquin" is believed to be dedicated to William O'Brian, 4th Earl of Inchiquin.
  49. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Susi, very nice! Are those Smurfs I see in the background?
  50. Susanne
    Susanne
    Yes!!! I sort of, unconsciously, collect them. Which means that I didn't really plan to. But I do
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast