Sunrise, Sunset (from "Fiddler On The Roof")

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Following my recording of "If I Were A Rich Man" last week, here is another song from the Fiddler On The Roof, the lovely "Sunrise, Sunset", which accompanies the wedding scene. Again based on a Wikifonia leadsheet. Apologies for the wind noises -- it has been a bit lively in North Wales this evening...

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Mid-Missouri M-111 octave mandolin (doubling melody on chorus)
    Ozark tenor guitar

[MP3=1]http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=114201&d=1392250811[/MP3]

Martin
  2. Eddie Sheehy
    Martin, do you have the lead-sheet for this?
  3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Sure: lead sheet uploaded here.

Martin
  4. Eddie Sheehy
    Thanks, Martin.
  5. Eddie Sheehy
    The lyrics going through my mind as I play tear me up...

6. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Between those beautiful harmonies from Martin, and solo tremolo from Eddie, there are so many ideas here. I think the lyrics must be special to a lot of parents Eddie, my mom made sure it was sung at our wedding.
  7. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Another re-record: here is "Sunrise, Sunset".

Martin
  8. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Very nice playing, Martin! I wasn't familiar with this, but judging by the lyrics you captured the bittersweet flavour very well.

We still have lots of years until our little boy leaves the house, but I know it will be a tough transition.
  9. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great tremolo and timing, Martin.
  10. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Dennis and Frithjof. The original song (from the movie) is here: Link

In the next few days, I will probably also do a re-run of "If I Were A Rich Man" from the same musical, which is great fun on mandolin!

Martin
  11. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Your present version is a little faster than your first one, but that sounds better.
    And thanks for the sheet music, Martin. That tune is on my "to-do" list.
  12. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Christian. Yes, it's a bit faster -- one of the advantages of recording without a click track is that tunes find their natural tempo more readily in the rehearsing and recording process. In this instance, it appears to be a mellow introspective tune which is why I chose a slow tempo back in 2014, but when you listen to the original it's actually quite fast in terms of metronome count. You're right, it suits the tune better.

Martin