Wild Mountain Thyme

1. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    It seems there is no thread for this beautiful Scottish Traditional, so I'll open up one. I know this song from the Byrds Fifth Dimension LP, but I own no 12-string Riclky and I'm a horrible harmony singer, so I tried it on mandolin and classical guitar.
  2. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    No thread for Wild Mountain Thyme yet? How did that happen?

You play it very well. It's a lovely song.
  3. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Christian, you produce really captivating chimes with your mandolin.
  4. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Very nice CC and great tone.

It is strange though, I’m sure I saw this song in the Other Tunes list a couple of years ago, must be that there’s another one with a similar name.
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice one, Christian. You are certainly getting up to the dusty end of that mandolin with your recent postings.
    Simon, I too thought it had been a posting a while back, but even under its other name, Will Ye Go, Lassie, Go?
    it does not appear. I think Ginny and I had maybe thought about it at one point.
  6. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Isn’t it something that our memories are sometimes better than that of a machine?!
  7. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Thanks follks! This time, the melody climbs up to the 12th fret, and I must admit having trouble making it ring loud an clear!
  8. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Yes thanks again CC for the motivation to play further up the neck. Iíve been trying at least. At the moment Iím working on harmony by ear and repetition of all the last two years of tunes to be able to play them straight from memory -without mistakes or reading. Very not easy.
  9. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    John, your memory does not fail you. We have in fact got this song ready to go - we did it in Feb? maybe. Just haven't posted it yet.
  10. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Ginny, you have put an old man's mind at rest. Sometimes I feel I need to get out more!
  11. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    YouTube thinks I've violated someone's copyright for this song, probably The Byrds. I was under the impression that Robert Tannahill wrote the lyrics to an older tune in the late 1700's. Pennies from the grave. I thought three verses of mandolin was too much so I sang a couple of verses, I'm sorry.

12. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine version, David, and lots of heather on show. Great to hear you as well as your instruments!
  13. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Beautifully done. The singer is brave and to be applauded and laurels thrown at his feet.
  14. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    No need to be sorry for the vocals, they are fine, and nice instrumental work as usual!
  15. Brian560
    Brian560
    I like both versions and it is such a nice melody. It is both nice to hear stuff played at the dusty end as well as being motivational. I have become a big fan of Davids concertina playing.