Kilchoman Mist

1. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A slow air written by my good friend, well-known Scottish musician and teacher Jean-Ann Callender. Kilchoman is on the Isle of Islay in my home county of Argyll.
    Jean-Ann composed the tune for fiddle, but I adapted it for mandolin and octave with guitar backing.

2. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    What a beautiful composition! You arranged this slow air tastefully for your instruments, John, and played it as professional as ever.
  3. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Very lovely indeed!
  4. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    very nice John. Well above your usual high standards.
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Frithjof, Jill and Simon. It is quite a haunting tune.
  6. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Beautiful rendition of a tune that has a lot of peat smoke in it Love these long jumps to the deeper notes.
  7. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    A beautiful slow waltz played with lots of expression!
  8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Bertram and Christian. You are right about the peat smoke, Bertram. The Islay malts have a very distinctive flavour.
  9. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Lovely song and arrangement. I enjoyed the grace you instilled into the tune.
  10. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thank you kindly, Ginny.
  11. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    A beautiful tune given the exactly right treatment. Well done, John.
  12. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Many thanks, Don. Your support is appreciated.
  13. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Wonderful! That goes for the composition as well as the performance.

Although it would be impossible to improve on this, I'm sure some of us would like to have a go. Would Jean-Ann be happy for you to share the score with us?
  14. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Dennis. I have emailed Jean-Ann for her permission to put the notation online here, so watch this space! It would be great to hear other versions of the tune.
  15. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Dennis, I have now been in touch with Jean-Ann and she has agreed that I might post the notation here. I have uploaded it to the Thread For Social Group section of the forum. This is her original notation complete with fiddle bowings. She asked me to say thanks to all who liked the tune, and especially to those who may have a try at it now!

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/a...1&d=1620220122
  16. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Sorry, John. There is something wrong with the link – I get a black sheet when I try the link.
    I went to the Thread For Social Group, found your attachment and it worked well.

Thanks for the sheet music, John. …and for the permission to use it, Jean-Ann.
  17. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Frithjof. I have now sorted the link. I had copied and pasted the image link rather than the pdf's url link, so it was just showing a .jpg of the black rectangle. Ages since I have used any attachments! Should be working now. When you click on the amended link above it downloads the pdf which you can then open. At least it does when I tried it just now. I hope someone else now gives it a try.
  18. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    It works well now.
  19. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Frithjof!
  20. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    Love it John. Well done. And thank you for posting the notation. Bonus!