Parchment Farm Blues

1. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    During the lockdown I spent most of my time in my backyard (and still do). I expanded my garden, listened to music, read books, played music, drew pictures, and took lots of photos. The only time I got out was to tutor my granddaughter in her remote learning classroom. She did very well by the way and is now in second grade...

This song is a little dark so I didn't do the usual historical picture video, rather I focused on the instruments. All of the photos are mine except for the very first one which is from the Library of Congress digital collection of vintage photographs. This is played on a National guitar, a National mandolin, electric bass, percussion with brushes and a cardboard box as well as my vocal. Did I forget to mention that recording is another of my hobbies...

Bertram, check out how the sound just EXPLODES out of the National mandolin!

2. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Wow Michael! Where do I start. Really fine production throughout. Excellent playing, and I didn't know we shared a love for photography, and both have green thumbs! Loved those hummingbird shots! Really did the instruments proud also, to bad you smudged the dust on the mando headstock.
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    What a great production, Michael. That repeating riff on the National is just so powerful, as are the instrumental breaks. Your recording has beautiful balance across vocal and instruments and the photographs are first-rate too.
  4. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Excellent Michael!!! I know this tune from the playing of a band called Blue Cheer, your version is much better!!!!
  5. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    I can’t play any blues - but I like to listen to a good blues. I enjoyed your recording very much, Michael. I was the topping of my early morning cafe. I was only confused because my smartphone only showed the first photo (bad internet connection?).
    I watched the whole slideshow on a decent screen now and listened through good speakers – Wow!
  6. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Frank, the National mandolin has been sitting in my living room gathering dust... that's not a finger print, rather it's the spot where the tuner was.

David, what a blast from the past... the proto metal, acid rock band, Blue Cheer, from the 60s and early 70s. I used to listen to them on late night FM radio when the DJ would play whole albums at a time. I got my inspiration for this song from the playing of Billy Lee Riley however.

Frithjof, I've noticed that YouTube has sometimes been putting ads on my videos (I don't monetize my stuff... YouTube does!) Also, if you don't pay for your subscription or if you're on a cell phone they sometimes limit bandwidth when you watch videos. I always select the highest resolution so I can hear and see the video better. Look for the three dots somewhere on the screen.
  7. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Interesting point about the adverts, Michael. I too have been seeing some ads appearing on my videos but I am not monetised nor do I have the required number of subscribers. It seems to be a change in policy from YouTube.
  8. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    I do not want to go into it here, but YT ,without our consent, IS making lots of money off of us musicians. With ZERO compensation. What a surprise.
  9. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Great bluesy recording, hats off Michael
  10. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Very percussive indeed Michael (what would Blues be without resonator instruments). I'm not sure what makes me select audience for explosions, though (must be something I did in the past, but my memory is not what it used to be, all worn down by memorizing usernames and passwords)
  11. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    This is a fabulous recording!
  12. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Excellent performance Michael!
    Best yet.
    Love the driving beat and the singing.

(Really sorry for not commenting earlier, I’m really not sure how I missed this.)
  13. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I remember watching this at the time, but obviously neglected to comment. It just shows how active this group has been! Michael, you are one of the truly outstanding players around here, and your singing works very well, too. There's no feedback to give except a huge round of applause!
  14. bbcee
    bbcee
    I somehow also managed to miss this first time around. Great vibe!!

Something in your voice reminds me of John Mayall, if he was a relaxed SoCal guy. I prefer your version to the Beano track by far!
  15. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Yes, that's excellent, well done Michael.
  16. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Thanks everyone for checking out my version of Parchment Farm. All I can say is that the SAW group is the best audience ever, thanks!
  17. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    How did I miss this? The resonators are perfect for this blues. Great recording and performance Michael! The sound does explode out of that National mandolin.
  18. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Got to post this on the Main site Michael, sorry to have to say, it’s better than the original!
  19. Colin Braithwaite
    Colin Braithwaite
    I traded my National mandolin because my Irish session mates said it was just too loud. Now I miss it. Great tune, thanks!
  20. John W.
    John W.
    I only recently joined the group…but I’m glad recent comments prompted me to watch/listen to this vid. Awesome! Great song, great instruments, great playing, great pics…really enjoyed it.
  21. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Colin, I had a similar encounter with a bluegrass banjo player at a picking party while playing my National mandolin. He said it was too loud and he couldn't hear his banjo during my break. I thought to myself, 'now that's a switch, usually it's the other way around." That was back before music became a solo thing! Still have my National mandolin AND guitar however.