Alla Carpinese

1. Kevin B
    Kevin B

My latest recording. I dusted off my Italian bowl back for this Italian tune. I hope you like it.
  2. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Kevin, what's not to like about a beautiful Italian tune such as this one! And what a cool video! Entertaining on all counts.
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine job, Kevin. That bowlback sounds really good in your recording. Well played too!
  4. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Well done Kevin and nice Flamenco style on the guitar.
  5. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    Beautiful performance, Kevin. I learned it from the John La Barbera Traditional Southern Italian Mandolin & Fiddle Tunes book, I play it along with the track.

Simon, you have excellent ear! in the book La Barbera writes:

"This song is a shepherd’s lament from Carpino, which is in the Gargano area of Puglia. Alla Carpinese means in the Carpino style and was usually played on the chitarra battente, an archaic steel string guitar from the sixteenth century, which the shepherds from this region have continually played. The opening melodic line descends chromatically until it settles into A minor. This version was recorded by Pupi e Fresedde on the album “La Terra del Rimorso”."

The word battente literally means "strumming," but a more accurate translation would be "beating," and it refers to the way of playing like the rasgueado of the classical or flamenco guitar. La Terra del Rimorso can be heard on spotify...
  6. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Nice feel and performance. Cool vid!
  7. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    That sounds very convincing, the combinatipn of a bowlback and a strummed classical guitar sounds really nice.
  8. Kevin B
    Kevin B
    Thanks for the kind words. Jairo, I also learned this tune from the Traditional Southern Italian Mandolin book ( some time ago). A great book.
  9. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    A full complement of sound, authentic and consistent, hot and mediterranean. I like the cartoon rendering, half expected some R. Crumb character to pop up any minute.