New Amsterdam - chord melody

1. bbcee
    bbcee
    For some reason, this great Elvis Costello song from I think his second album became an earworm I had to do something about. I've been working on chords and inversions lately, and as his tunes are chock-full of chords, this seemed like an interesting challenge. Ironic to make an instrumental of a song by someone known as much for his lyrics as his music! I hope I captured the spirit of the tune.

Maybe I should have posted this over in the rock or jazz forums. But I'm a stranger over in those parts

2. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    I enjoyed that! Yes, different is good. I don't know if I ever even heard this song before so I have no idea what the original was like. But I thought it was very beautiful on the mandolin.
  3. bbcee
    bbcee
    Thanks Frankdolin, appreciate it! Here's a link to the original. I probably should have worked harder at creating more variation with the vocal melody, but I also wanted to get it out of my hair and move on!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfK1_FBTMtA
  4. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Really nice Bruce, and good to hear from you.
    Yes I know the feeling, being overloaded with repertoire books that need to be recorded!
  5. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Sounds great to me, Bruce. Keep on picking!
  6. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Wow, that's a nice sounding mandolin. It's nice to hear and see someone concentrating on chords and jazzy sounding playing and to do it so well. Thanks!
  7. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    Excellent mandolin in great hands, what can go wrong? cool to listen to that kind of musical proposals, Bruce!
  8. bbcee
    bbcee
    Thanks for your kind comments. I haven't had the mando very long, but it really fits me to a T, and I sometimes can't believe how good it sounds either
  9. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one, always loved that song!
  10. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine performance, Bruce, and a great-sounding instrument.
  11. Bren
    Bren
    Very nice.
    Beautiful chords.

I remember it from EC's Get Happy! which was his 3rd or 4th album.
  12. bbcee
    bbcee
    Thank you J, J & B. I always wanted to do a chord melody of something from Imperial Bedroom, but it's sooo orchestral production-wise, way beyond me. This was a good one for solo mandolin (and jazz dude hired guns).
  13. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    I always liked this song from Costello's Get Happy!! album. Your chord melody version is just great, bbcee.
  14. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Seems like jazz and blues (are they one and the same?) are/is "the thing" these days. I can't play them/it, but I can sure listen.