Carmelis Berg

1. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    This is a musical internet collaboration between Simon and me. We are based in France and England, respectively, and have recorded our parts separately in those locations.

The tune is a Flemish song apparently about Mount Carmel in the Holy Land. I couldn't find much about it on the internet, so I'm not sure exactly how old it is. Simon sent me a recording of the melody line and the sheet music, and we took it from there.

We both play our octave mandolas in this - in the third verse, you can hear us both play the melody in unison. Simon also recorded the bass line, and I added mandolin and soprano recorder. The video recordings are from Simon's walks in France, and the photos of flowers are from my holidays - incidentally also in France!

We hope you enjoy this collaborative effort. Stay safe and well!

2. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Goodness! This is very nice that we did! Thanks Dennis for this latest collaboration.
  3. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    Well done chicos!
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Another new tune comes out of lockdown. Good effort, both of you.
  5. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    That is very nice! What a great collaboration. Reminds me of an old Incredible String Band tune. A drop of the pure stuff!
  6. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    That is an interesting tune guys. Nice synchronization.
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Gents and Lady.
    Ginny it was Dennis who did the hard work, I played the octave free tempo first, basically sliding around whenever I felt like it, he had to play over that, and actually did a very job of it !
    Yay Chico, vamos comer la comida, tengo hambre!
  8. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Thank you, everyone! This was a lot of fun. My favourite bit is the third verse (with the orchids) because the two octave mandolas are so in time with each other that you barely hear that there are two ... except that Simon's sounds better than mine with my ancient strings and wobbly tuners!
  9. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    optimistic and innocently comforting.
    Now can anybody take the picture of a band of care bears marching uphill with fifes to their mouths and Caramel bars in their pockets out of my head, please?