Week #55 ~ Chief O'Neill's Favorite (hornpipe)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week we had a 4 way tie for first place!

I'll cast tie breaker, and announce the winner as Chief O'Neill's Favorite (hornpipe)

Here is the abc from thesession.org

X: 1
    T: Chief O'Neill's Favourite
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    R: hornpipe
    K: Dmaj
    |:de|fefg afge|fdec dBAG|FEDE FGAB|=cAd^c A2 de|
    |fefg afge|fdec dBAG|FEDF GBAG|F2 D2 D2:|
    |:DE|=F2FE FGAB|=cAdB =cAGB|Adde fded|=cAd^c A2de|
    |fefg afge|fdec dBAG|FEDF GBAG|F2 D2 D2:|

Here is a link to some standard notation

I'm on the road, so ya'll will have to take it from here!
  2. Eddie Sheehy
    Sounds like it might sound good on a Tenor Banjo...
  3. mculliton123
    mculliton123
  4. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    This tune is a popular one for Irish set dancing. Played here on my Sobell mandolin.

5. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one, David! It's always a treat to hear your Sobell!
  6. Mark Robertson-Tessi
    Mark Robertson-Tessi
    Nice sounding instrument, and nice take, David. Can you comment on your pick direction choices? What's hanging on the wall in the background?

Cheers
    Mark RT
  7. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Pick direction is DUDU. My Weber octar is in the background.
  8. Rob Gerety
    Rob Gerety
    Nice David. How on earth you folks keep up with these new tunes is beyond me.
  9. Susanne
    Susanne
    Lovely stuff! I played this tune when I took some Irish mandolin lessons while still in Ireland, but haven't played it for ages! I love the tune though. That Sobell sounds nice.
  10. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    David, this one pronounces very nicely the projection of your Sobell, singing out loud.

Rob, sometimes the knack lies in the tune not really being that new - it's the case with me. This was my first hornpipe 25 years ago and, like Eddie suggested, I used to play it on the banjo. I have added a few doublestops since playing it on the OM, but some of the old triplets have survived, too.

11. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Very nice Bertram. What about "doublestop triplets"? That would surely be a mesmerizing innovation.
  12. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    David that sounds great. You always impress me with your knowledge of so many tunes.

Bertram, this is one of my favorite videos from you. Great triplets!

This is a super cool tune! Must learn.....must learn!
  13. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks David and Rob.
    doublestop triplets? - hmmm, sounds like what you get when you mix "Riverdance" with "Transformers" (which doesn't mean it's impossible, after all they successfully mixed Matrix, Star Wars VI and Pocahontas to make Avatar...)
  14. Michael Wolf
    Michael Wolf
    Thanks for these two versions of one of my favorite hornpipes, David and Bertram. Very nice. I really like these doublestops, Bertram. I think they fit this tune especially well.

Hereīs a hornpipe set with "Chief OīNeillīs" and "Boys of Blue Hill" in front, recorded in the kitchen:

Boys of Blue Hill & Chief O'Neill's Favorite
  15. Rob Gerety
    Rob Gerety
    "Rob, sometimes the knack lies in the tune not really being that new..."

Ahhh, well that does make me feel a bit better. I'm still planning to post a few soon. A new one or two also.

Michael - I love that Boys of Blue Hill tune - great playing.
  16. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    Here's my try on the tenor banjo. I sneek in a few triplets, but screwed up a couple small bits.
    Fun tune though, I enjoy playing this in my session group, normally we follow it with the Staten Island hornpipe.
    Kyle

17. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nicely played Kyle, and your triplets are nicely paced as well!
  18. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Excellent work Kyle, David and Bertram. Here's an easy way to play Michael's great mp3
  19. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Thanks for posting that link OS and a hearty well done to Michael - that was awesome!
  20. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Right so, here's my go of it - only learnt it off last night, ideally I would've worked on it for a few more days and then recorded it, but today is the only day that I've got an empty flat to record in so had to just throw me hat over the wall and go for it:

Played on a Weber Custom Gallatin F, using a Bluechip pick, fueled by a toasted cheese sarnie....
  21. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Surprise! It's a new instrument! Well, and 87-year-old instrument that's new to me. I'm still getting the hang of it, but it's a lot of fun.

Thanks for posting all the great versions early. They were a big help in figuring out the tune.

22. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I like it Marcelyn - good picking, and the new instrument sounds great - whatever it is

And Jill's version is outstanding, great job Jill, whatever a flat and a sarnie are.
  23. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great stuff there, Marcelyn! Nice sounding banjolin - what make is it?

Translation for OS: flat=apartment, sarnie=sandwich
  24. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    All first rate!

Kyle and Marcelyn both hit that honkytonk mood any banjoic instrument is supposed to deliver with that tune. I picture a parade of full pint glasses of Guinness marching along the bar top, emptying themselves into the mouth of a helpless wizard's apprentice who forgot the words for switching them off...

Jill's triplets leave anybody else's in the dust (go figure ), demonstrating that once you're into a technique it runs by itself.

Michael, that's a whole new approach - with a cello (was it?) and a daring fiddle doublestop accompaniment

Now I am looking forward to another surprise with OS's BG version
  25. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Thanks Jill, it's a Vega style L.
    Oh, and remind me to check before posting next time to see whether I'll be directly after you. Mine sounded a lot faster until I visited yours above lol. Great job.
  26. harrywhohaa
    harrywhohaa
    Lot's of smooth versions here with that hornpipe jauntiness.

Kyle, I'm off to check out Staten Island hornpipe we don't play that one much here.

Jill great version - it also tells me I need to attend a triplet clinic.

Funnily enough I saw Steve Player from the Harp Consort dance what I believe was a Hornpipe last night!

27. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Lots of really good interpretations of this great tune - good choice, Barbara. Here is mine on octave and tenor banjo and using the new Sanyo Xacti camera. Sync not quite there yet, but getting a hold of it. I filmed once playing octave and once with banjo, then edited the two clips (after a fashion) in Vegas Movie studio with soundtrack from an mp3 done in Reaper. I really need to get out more!
  28. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    More great versions!

Harry - nice one, and lovely tone from that Gallatin as well!

John - the octave and tenor sound great together, and I loved the editing back and forth between them!

Marcelyn, I thought the pace of your version was great, as a matter of fact after listening to you I thought mine was just a wee bit too fast - if I was to do it again I'd record mine just a shade slower to really emphasise the hornpipey-ness of it...
  29. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    At last we get to see you John! That T shirt perfectly goes with the YouTube progress bar
    Lovely relaxed production!
  30. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Can anyone tell me why the youtube progress bar is colored differently in some videos?
  31. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Jim, that's because when you go to click on the "embed" button youtube usually pops up with a menu that lets you choose the color of the progress bar.
  32. Mark Robertson-Tessi
    Mark Robertson-Tessi
    Cool tune. Hornpipes allow for some wide interpretations, nice ones on the thread. Had the guitar out this morning, so I went with that.

Cheers
    MRT
  33. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Awesome! So lovely to hear that tune done on the guitar Mark!
  34. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Lovely version, Mark. Is that DADGAD tuning you are using? T shirt was a gift from younger daughter, Bertram, and the slogan ensures that I do wear it at times. She has also given me a black one with "Mandolin Hero" emblazoned on the front, so watch this space!
  35. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I liked that, Mark. The smooth, rolling style made me think of the ocean.
  36. BlueMt.
    BlueMt.
    Mark, I really enjoyed that. Thanks!

Eric
  37. BlueMt.
    BlueMt.
    David, Bertram, Kyle, Jill, Marcelyn, Harry and John, I really enjoyed each of your versions. Now I'll have to decide who to copy.

Eric
  38. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    All these versions are just awesome! I've made it back home to Iowa, and now, I need to get to recording! I love hornpipes, and this one is a new one for me.

Mark, that guitar version was beautiful! I've never seen dot placements like your guitar has! Very interesting!
  39. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Mark, if the banjo versions stand for alcohol, your guitar rendition represents that smoke of asian leaves that makes gurus float 3 inches above ground - very cool and detached from worldly desires. Interesting switch of registers.
  40. Mark Robertson-Tessi
    Mark Robertson-Tessi
    John: yes, it's DADGAD.
    Bertram: Stole the register trick from Kyle's Shebeg video
    Cheers
    Mark R-T
  41. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    It's been a very good showing this week, so I just copied everyone else...

42. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one OS, really lovely!
  43. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Now OS, there's Chief O'Neill cruising down the Miami marina in his Eldorado...
  44. harrywhohaa
    harrywhohaa
    Nice OS, that accompaniment works really well
  45. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks folks
  46. Susanne
    Susanne
    Very nice recordings, all!!!!

Here's mine, played on that gorgeous octave mandolin. My playing is a bit out of it at times, but I'm generally quite happy with this video

47. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    That thing sounds Great, Susi, nice and deep.
  48. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    This can't be your first OM, can it Susi? You sound great and so does the new instrument.
  49. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Susi, that was great! I've got a question for those of you who added the triplet ornamentation. How do you decide where to add them? I know how to do it, and as I'm working on this tune, I've experimented with the different places to add them, and just wondered how ya'll decide?
  50. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I put mine where I thought it sounded good and where I could play it relatively easily. My ornaments aren't always triplets, sometimes they are a slurry run of three or four 16th notes (or meant to be, anyway).
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast