Give the Fiddler a Dram (Dance All Night)

1. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Here’s a wee tune for a wee dram.
    It’s also called, ‘Dance All Night’, which has an OldTime version that’s, believe it or not, completely different- but a nice one too. Another thread exists for that.

2. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Nice tune, Simon. Well played.
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A busy boy today with two postings so far! I like the tone from your octave when you play it uncapoed - it lets the strings ring out and adds depth to the tone. Well played again, that man. You are back on a roll!
  4. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Lady and Gent, yes I like the tone when uncapoed. For this one I had the microphone really close and the gain for the mic recording was very low. Then I upped the volume during recording. It cuts out the trucks and roadworks outside but there’s less of a round room sound and of course there’s the infernal pick clicking.

I will try to do better next time.
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Simon, when you talk of pick noise, I was looking at a wee video rom Sierra Hull the other day and she was giving five tips on getting good tone in your playing. Very sensible points (as you'd expect from such a player) she was making. Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tCoGGcsi0I
  6. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks John I’ll go through that again, I feel it’s a bit like fiddlers who say they’re having an off day.
    For me I think it’s got something to do with the pick trajectory and velocity between notes. I feel that when I accelerate the pick between notes and then decelerate rapidly just before plucking then the pick noise decreases a lot. A perpendicular pick arrival angle is another.

Likewise when my tempo decreases below a certain standard threshold everything suddenly becomes manageable.

The main one though is actually just thinking about it.
    Appreciate the advice, thanks.

I seem to remember an exercise for guitar where the pick has to travel the fastest possible to be in a ‘ready’ position.
  7. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Nice playing, Simon.
    Thanks for the link, John.
  8. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Give the octave mandolin player a dram too! Fine playing Simon!
  9. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    What Don said - cheers to the OM player! And even the stomp was there
  10. phb256
    phb256

I posted this on the Newbies thread for Farewell to Whiskey, but thought I'd share it here as well since I combined the two.
  11. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A well-matched pairing of the two tunes. Watching your clean fingering on both, I would say you should certainly be posting here as well as in the Newbies thread. Looking forward to your next offering.
  12. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Well done PHB, and I dutyfully ignored the wrong note (where was it supposed to be?). That mandocello has incredibly vintage looks and sounds.