Week #47 ~ St. Patrick's Day in the Morning

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner, in honor of St. Patrick's Day two days ago, is St. Patrick's Day in the Morning.

From www.thesession.org

Saint Patrick's Day
    jig
    Key signature: Gmajor
    Submitted on November 20th 2001 by Miss Lonelyhearts.
    This tune has been added to 198 tunebooks.
    Also known as Barbary Bell, Barbary Belle, Barbary Belles, La Feile Naoim Patraic, La Feile Padraig, La Gheile Paidric, Old England For Ever, Perry's Victory, Saint Patrick's Day, St. Partick's Day In The Morning March, St. Patrick's Day, St. Patrick's Day In The Morning, St. Patrick’s Day.

Be sure to click over to the 'comments' tab on thesession, to get some more input as to this tune.

X: 1
    T: Saint Patrick's Day
    M: 6/8
    L: 1/8
    R: jig
    K: Gmaj
    D|:GAG GAB|ded dBG|AGA BGD|EFE E2 D|
    |GAG GAB|ded dBG|AGA BGD|1 E2 FG2 D:|2 E2 FG2 B||
    |:def gag|fed edB|def gag|fed e2 d|
    |def gag|fed efg|dBG GAB|ded dBG|
    |AGA BGD|EFE E2 D|GAG GBd|gfe dBG|
    |AGA BGD|1 E2 FG2 B:|2 E2 FG2 D||

The band I'm in plays this in a medley with Garry Owen. We usually play it Garry Owen/St. Patricks/Garry Owen/St. Patricks/Garry Owen. I usually play the tenor banjo when we perform this. Here's my video, with me playing my Collings MT2O mandolin. Without my band to keep me straight, I forgot to play the last Garry Owen, so this medley is Garry Owen / St Pat / Garry Owen / St. Pat.

Just a reminder, I think it's nice when you post a video, to each time, say what instrument it is you are playing it on. Many of us have multiple instruments, so it's just nice to be able to put a name to the one we are hearing / seeing!

2. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Barbara, your video is marked 'private'

mc
  3. mculliton123
    mculliton123
  4. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Oops, forgot to check that box when uploading... thanks!
  5. dj coffey
    dj coffey
    Clearly you have this memorized and have a nice, relaxed smile to go with it!
  6. BlueMt.
    BlueMt.
    Barbara, Very nice! Here's my version. I think I lost my way the first time through the B part and there's a couple of clams but my finger hurts and one take is all I can handle today. Played on my Old Wave and recorded straight to iMovie on my iMac.

Eric

7. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    I like it! (both of 'em). DJ have you not noticed that Barbara always plays with relaxed, sweet smile?
  8. Solas
    Solas
    Here's my straightforward version. I never learned the DUDDU jig stroke, but it seemed to occur naturally in this song, at least part of the time. Though, it did throw me off at one point.

I played it on my Epiphone MM-50, which is the only mandolin I currently own.

Sorry for the poor quality.

9. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Solas, that was great! I didn't see anything poor quality about it! And, you were doing the DUD DUD picking very well, too!

One never knows with computer stuff, why things happen, but late last night, when using Safari on my Mac (which is the browser I usually use) the You Tube videos stopped appearing that are embedded in our social group. This morning, I've tried Firefox, and they are there... I wonder why that would be?
  10. Eddie Sheehy
    Being born near St. Patrick's Day and being from Garryowen in Limerick this tune is a natural for me. However, playing in front of the camera brought out a bunch of flubs... Played on a Kimble AR mandolin made in 2001.

11. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Eddie, I hope I can flub it up as well as you. Finally got it committed to memory last night, but it's going to be a couple of days yet before I'm ready to post.
  12. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Solas, the audio quality was fine and you played it well. Was this tune completely new to you when Barbara posted it? If so, you sure didn't lose any time learning it!
  13. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...9&d=1269360268

Here is link to a quickie mp3 of St Patrick's Day and Gary Owen, the two as a medley. played on my JK mandolin and a cheap (SX brand) tenor banjo which I have recently acquired.

Have just got new camcorder and now learning how to convert the .mpeg4 files it saves to .wma or .avi files which Movie Maker can import. Any suggestions for better video editing software which will not break the bank or cause too much stress to my PC? Who says life is ever easy! That's what I love about this group - it makes you want to have a go at things!
    Used Reaper on the laptop with one mic and two tracks, one for each instrument. A quick and not very exact recording, but just wanted to get something on-line.
  14. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Nice job John. Clean pickin'. That "cheap banjo" sounds pretty good to me.

Speaking of recording . . . I just use my webcam on my laptop and then use Windows Moviemaker to finish it off. But I have yet to figure out the best video format to use. It gives me several different options when I "publish" the video to my hard drive. They all seem pretty much the same in quality, but the frame size and file size vary considerably. Does anyone else use Moviemaker and what in your experience is the best format for posting stuff in YouTube or elsewhere?
  15. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    John, sounds good. I normally play this medley on my tenor banjo..... I think these tunes really need one to convey the right feeling!
  16. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Wow, you all are so fast. These are great. I'm getting the A part, but that B part takes several turns that catch me off guard. I'll keep at it.
    Oh, and what is this dud dud strum?
  17. Rob Gerety
    Rob Gerety
    DUD DUD is the classic recommended way to pick jigs. Highly recommended. It naturally gives some emphasis to the 1 and the 4.
  18. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Hi Marcelyn, the DUD DUD method is, as Rob says, the widely recognised way of getting the triplet feel in jigs and other tunes requiring this sort of phrasing. It simply means playing a Down/Up/Down Down/Up/Down pattern with your pick, but unlike alternate picking which continues the Down/Up pattern right through, DUD DUD requires you to play the 3rd and 4th strokes of each 6 as Down strokes. This, when you first try it out, is the tricky bit!
    On the tenor banjo and guitar I often use first finger and thumb to play triplets.
    Hope this helps.
  19. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That does help. I knew of the technique, but not the scientific name. I'm kicking myself for not cracking the code though. It doesn't seem all that complicated thinking on it now with a fresh cup of coffee in my hand.
    I put dud dud in practice with other jigs but often get tangled up, we'll see how it goes with this one.
  20. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Funny how melodies wander - at last I remembered why the A part seems so familiar to me: go here and click the preview button of the last number (24) of this album about Yorkshire and Scottish mining songs.
  21. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A slight diversion here, but still connected to the St Patrick's Day theme. It's wet here in Argyll today and the Holy Loch looks great in the mist and rain, so I was moved to record a new version of the Dingle Regatta on my mandolin and tenor banjo, with a guitar backing of sorts. Just feeling a bit Irish today!
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...1&d=1269436006
    Hope no one minds this inclusion under the St Pat's thread.
  22. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    That's terrific John! Love it. The first few measures remind me of that Disney tune, Bibbity Bobbity Boo.
  23. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Here's my attempt on my 1983 Flatiron A5-2.

24. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Marcelyn, very nice!!

mc
  25. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Nice job Marcelyn. Good tempo. I tried recording it tonight and must have done 100 takes, but I could only get through the B part once without screwing up. Maybe tomorrow night.
  26. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Thanks Micheal and Martin. And Martin, you don't want to know how many takes that took. It seems I can play through a song fifty times fine, but turn on the camera and... I hope to see yours tonight. 101 is the charm.
  27. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Okay folks, a little analysis here. I am no expert on Celtic style so the subtle rhytmic difference b/t Marcelyn's version and most of the others interests me. The first bar (and others at pharse beginnings) of Marcelyn's version is played slightly syncopated compared to, for instance, Solas' version. Solas' plays those first three notes after the pickup note evenly, whereas Marcelyn gives slightly more value to the first of those three notes. I hope that makes sense. Play the first few seconds of each video and you'll see what I mean. So . . . I'm interested in your thoughts on this anomoly. Both versions sound good. Is one more authentically Celtic than the other? Is it just a matter of personal preference? Is there some "rule" that says a jig "should" be played the one way not the other way? Educate me gang.
  28. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Martin, pronouncing the first of three notes in a jig measure a little longer is a factor frequently deployed especially by Uileann pipers to make it all sound more bouncy, but it is an ornamental thing and far from mandatory. It does sound good in some cases, but not everywhere (e.g. I would not use it to start Morrison's Jig). Cafe administrator Dan Beimborn has it as a side effect of his rather unusual DDU DDU picking pattern (hear this example).
  29. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Yeah, I see what you mean Bertram. Dan does it on almost every measure. It really gives it driving feel. Boy, he rocks it doesn't he? I like that technique. I'm going to try it out tonight.
  30. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Very nice, Marcelyn.
    You are not alone in doing multiple recordings.
    I joined this group in December 09 and I have recorded about 450 videos (and posted 18) since then.
  31. Eddie Sheehy
    I've given up on trying to get the perfect recording. I now start a tune and play through about three times straight - flubs and all - then I try to clean up the video as best I can and that's what I post... It's a lot less stressful.
  32. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    While I do enjoy the whole garageband / imovie production for these videos.... and it was a good learning thing.... I've noticed that I've pretty much gone back to just recording it with my webcam, minor editing in iMovie, then post.... takes a lot less time!
  33. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That's funny Manfred, our statistics are similar. I'm getting better though. The jury's still out on whether the forum is doing anything for my mandolin skills, but it's working wonders at curing my need for perfection.
  34. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Marcelyn and Manfred....do you really count your outtakes???????
    if i did i would join the song a MONTH group

mc
  35. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    My method so far has been to set the flip camera running and play until I get a version that doesn't make me cringe too badly. Last night, I played for around 45 minutes and posted a 40 second clip. Not the best track record, I admit.
  36. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Well, I feel better knowing that I'm not alone at the multiple takes thing. I tried again tonight and it still didn't happen. I've got to get over the perfectionist thing or I'm never going to post anything! Honestly, this jig, though I love it, has given me more fits trying to record than I've ever had before. Marcelyn, I use your method of just leaving the camera running and doing it over and over until I get something I'm satisfied with. Ususally it works, eventually.
  37. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Michael,
    Keeping score is easier than you think.
    My video recording software numbers the files it stores in the folder.
  38. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I cheat! I try to get the tune as well recorded as I can as an audio piece using Reaper and my laptop. I work this way as the recording often becomes the start of a bigger arrangement with my fellow band members. We share mp3s of new stuff we find and then decide whether we want to pursue it further, and for this I have found my joining of the S-A-W group has been invaluable in picking up new tunes and ideas.

The video side is new to me since coming into the group and in the clips I have made so far where I am on-screen I simply play my pre-recorded track through the computer and film my playing along to the track. This way if I make the odd (well, not so rare as to be odd) mistake in the fingering or picking I do not bother too much with this as I am muting the audio from the filming and using my Reaper track, up till now through Windows MovieMaker, though I am just beginning to experiment with Sony software I downloaded as a trial; it is Vegas Movie Studio HD and can be downloaded as a 30-day trial from the Sony website. It works well on my fairly elderly PC which cannot really handle the "big" programs on offer in the video world - Corel, Adobe, Pinnacle, etc.
    Alternately, as many of us seem to do, do not film yourself playing but use scenic clips to complement the audio. What is the old saying about it being "all smoke and mirrors"?
  39. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Capturing the web-cam video has been the hardest for me also. seems when i get to the last 3-4 bars w/o a major flub i lose the song playing in my head and the whole thing gets out-of-wack. my web-cam app doesn't keep the dele's.
    The slide show is a different animal. i have Audacity (and Carol says that I sure do!!) and lay down a melody track first, doesn't have to be the best cause i'l dele it later. then i add the rythmn on guitar and maybe a chop on the mandolin. when they sound good i then go back and add the melody till i get it right. sometimes i get lucky and both melodies are keepers, then it becomes a duet.
    I think Bertram said it in another thread, why should we be nervous when the camera is on but not the tuner?? both electronic gadgets.
    I'm also haveing trouble learning this one for some reason, i have the A part but i can't 'hear' the B part when i play it. if i run one of the posts i can play along but . solo, no dice. just lose the melody/timing.
    Just glad to know i'm not alone.
    mc
  40. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    So many of ya'll say the B part is the hard part. This is a tune that I learned from my band-mates, and they already had an arrangement, so what I learned to play is THEIR rendition of the tune.... and the B part is pretty easy, but it's not like the one in the notation that everyone has a hard time with. I really like the version that I learned... the B part is fun....
  41. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    The B part that is notated is fun too. I think there are a couple of things going on that make it more of a challenge though. First, if you haven't noticed, the B part is 12 or 14 bars (I don't have it in front of me now) instead of the usual 8. Second, and the primary culprit, there are several measures in the B part that are identical to the A part, but several measures that are ALMOST BUT NOT QUITE identical to the A part. That's my two bits. I had to go back to the fundamentals, practicing the B part by playing a couple measures at a time over and over and then the phrase transitions over and over and then put two phrases together and play them over and over, etc.
  42. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    At last, here it is, warts and all. "Warts and All." Hey, that would make a good title for an Irish tune! Or a band! I'm am most interested in your thoughts about my pick direction. I pay no attention at all. I just do what seems natural. You may have to enlarge the video to see my pick direction.

43. Tom Tax
    Tom Tax
    I too had a lot of trouble recording this tune - I'm not sure why. Anyway, it was either post this cobbled-together version or give up in disgust. Tom

44. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Tom, it may have been 'cobbled together', but it sounded good to me!
  45. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Tom, trust me, you're not alone in having difficulty recording this one. You sounded pretty good though!
  46. Eddie Sheehy
    Bump
  47. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Perfect bump Eddie.
    I like that Kimble. I keep thinking I need a Kimble A or 2 Point.
    But thinking always gets me in trouble, so I've been trying to do a lot less lately.
    I'll drink a dram to your health later.
    We're all Irish today.
    Gary
  48. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    St Patrick's Day in the Morning. Another happy Irish tune.
  49. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    I've been trying to learn this tune this month in the newbies group, and though I can't yet play it smoothly, I recorded it. This is just my mandolin and my iPhone. I included photos of my Irish/American ancestors between takes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf0rQqz_dkI

50. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I don't even remember this tune from the first time. Well played, Mark. Not a finger put wrong.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast