Week #13 ~ Kentucky Waltz ~ Bluegrass Tune

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Week #13 Tune of the Week ~ Kentucky Waltz ~ Bluegrass Tune

Here is the link to it on Mandozine (TabEdit file) (note, when downloaded the TAB is all squished together. After downloading and opening with your TEFviewer, go to 'score' then 'options' and change those '-2' numbers to '10'. You can also go to options and show notation as well as TAB. If anyone has any other TEF viewer tips, please help!)

A YouTube Search for Kentucky Waltz results in a number of renditions... some of Bill Monroe (at least audio files) (question... in the one of Bill Monroe & Emmylou Harris, they seem to be in a different key, yes?)

I don't have ABC for this tune, but if anyone does, please submit.
  2. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Vocal tunes will be in a key that fits the singer's voice, so yes, this tune will be played in many different keys depending on who is singing it.
  3. Tom Tax
    Tom Tax
    I found another Tab at http://www.instituteofamericanmusic.com/fr-freesong.htm. I have 5 recordings of the song by Bill Monroe - 2 are in D, 2 are in E and 1 is in F (with an organ in the band). David Grisman and Doc Watson played it in D.
  4. Eddie Sheehy
    Wouldn't it be great if there was a capo for the vocal chords... probably be quite painful though and tend to be sharp...
  5. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I believe the TAB on Mandozine is in D. The TAB Tom linked to seems to be in A. So... you bluegrassers out there... what keys do you usually play tunes in... or, is it how Don says... the singer gets to pick the key? Maybe that's another reason I like the band I play in... no singers!
  6. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I did find this ABC, with lyrics, in the key of C

X:1
    T:Kentucky Waltz
    C:Bill Monroe
    M:3/4
    L:1/4
    Q:1/4=120
    K:C
    %%MIDI program 41 % violin
    %%MIDI chordprog 26 % Acoustic Guitar (steel)
    x2E/G/|"C"cBA|GEC|E/>E/-E2-|E3/2z/G/B/|
    w:We were waltz-ing that night in Ken-tuc-ky,__ 'Neath the
    c>Bc|G2C|"G7"B,3-|B,2z|
    w:beau-ti-ful har-vest moon_
    BB>A|G2E/D/|B,<B,-B,-|B,zB,/A,/|
    w:I was the boy who was luc-ky,__ But it
    (G,2G)|GBA|"C"G3-|G2A/B/|
    w:All_ end-ed too soon,_ As I
    c/c2c/|G<EC|EE2-|E2e|
    w:sit here a-lone in the moon-light,_ I
    e2e|ded|"F"c3-|c2c/c/|
    w:see your smi-i-ling face,_ And I
    c2c|"F6"d2(d/^d/)|"C"e2c|"A"G2G/^G/|
    w:long once more for_ your em-brace, And the
    "D"A>^GA/^A/|"G7"B-(B/>A/)G|"C"c3-|c2z||
    w:beau-ti-ful Ken-tu__key waltz._
  7. Eddie Sheehy
    This is what it sounds like...

8. Eddie Sheehy
    Unless of course there is a Kentucky Waltz #1...
  9. Susanne
    Susanne
    You don't actually have to sing it... it's a lovely tune instrumental as well. And then you choose the key that you prefer.
  10. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Bubba Hopkins... name that key... I'm saying A
  11. Eddie Sheehy
    Yep, Bubba is sawing it in A...
  12. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Well, I guess I'll kick it off this time. KENTUCKY WALTZ. I tried to keep it kinda slow, (it being a waltz and all) with a few double stops here and there. Enjoy!

Chris
  13. Tom Tax
    Tom Tax
    Here's Bill Monroe performing Kentucky Waltz http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/song..._Waltz/8048531
  14. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    As usual, Kyle, very nice! I love waltz's~
  15. Eddie Sheehy
    Nice one Chris. I can probably manage that speed...
  16. Eddie Sheehy
    Do you have notation or a Tab for that Chris?
  17. ESinCO
    ESinCO
    I found this link with notation for fiddle.... http://www.instituteofamericanmusic....fiddle%201.pdf
  18. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Sorry no. It's somewhat based on the mandozine tab Barbara linked to, but it's mostly my own arrangement. Glad you liked it.
  19. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    You know the thing that struck me about the mandozine TAB (and I really really prefer notation), is that it includes all the double stops, etc. For my OWN learning style, I much prefer learning what the basic tune is.... and then learning the double stops, etc. But, that may come from the fact that in the tunes I normally play (not bluegrass) I hear the melody line first... then harmonies, double stops, ornamentations, next....
  20. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    ESinCO, that institute of american music link was the same link (a different page) as the link that Tom gave a few messages up. The page Tom linked to has the TAB or notation for several different instruments, and in the fiddle notation, its got the key of A and the key of C. Since notation is notation... the fiddle notation works for reading for the mandolin.... so I thought I'd also link to that site, to the notation in the key of C here It also has it in the key of A, but with more ornamentation here And, if anyone wants, it also has Bass (two versions) Banjo, and Guitar (two versions) here.
  21. Eddie Sheehy
    I'm going to learn this one by ear and then add the ornamentation... Have we settled on a key yet - or is it free-range? Chris did it in D and it sounds cool.
  22. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Bill Monroe did it in a variety of keys between D in the early days, F in the 50's (accompanied by organ), and E in the 60's, so I think we should all feel free to pick whatever key. If I were going to sing it, I would have to do it in C.
  23. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Hey Eddie, since when did you start following rules? You just play it in whatever key floats your boat! Maybe we'll get all keys submitted... that would be cool! I say, anything goes in the way of keys!
  24. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    OS... do you sing? I love singing, but it's torture to anyone who has to listen to me!
  25. Eddie Sheehy
    Singing and drinking go hand-in-foot-in-mouth... However it's been a problem to shut me up... My dulcet tones have been favourably compared to the mating call of a rusty file...
  26. Eddie Sheehy
    If any key goes then I'll try it out on my recently acquired Silber and Katechis Mandola. This is the only instrument my wife likes... because it's got an amazing CEDAR aroma to it - the top and inside kerfling are Cedar. She want's to hang it in her clothes closet...
  27. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Yes, I sing. You have to sing in bluegrass. It's de rigueur. You can't be just sitting around playing a mandolin all day. Although, no-one in bluegrass says "de rigueur", you understand.
  28. Eddie Sheehy
    I seem to recall Bill once sayin' that de rigeur ain't no part of nuthin'...
  29. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Incidentally, I would like to make it clear to anyone who thinks they can't sing, you will probably find plenty of local singing teachers if you look on Craig's List, and if your ear is good enough to pick out a tune on a mandolin, I guarantee you that you CAN learn to sing very well, despite what anyone may ever have told you. It's a lot easier than learning an instrument too. I wasted many years under the impression that singing is a talent you're born with - that's nonsense, it turns out. But it does help to have someone who knows what they're doing with a larynx to show you the ropes.
  30. Eddie Sheehy
    Now that's interesting. I have a great ear for music and I'm a multi-instrumentalist but I'm a lousy singer. There are a very few tunes that I can almost get away with, but I am unable to reach every note in any 2-octave span in any key. It's because I have such a good ear for music that I know when I'm not hitting the note correctly. I've always believed I am unable - but that hasn't stopped me trying and after a few pints I always lead a sing-song on guitar... I'd be very interested on how to finally sing properly... references?
  31. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Mostly, it's about learning to control your breath (using your diaphragm), and just spending a bit of time each day doing some vocal exercises. If you can find a teacher they can give you some vocal exercises that will most likely extend your range. There are so many singing teachers, there's probably someone very nearby. That's what I did, I don't have any internet resources for it.
  32. Eddie Sheehy
    How "bad" were you before the lessons?
  33. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I love to sing, and I do.... I belong to a camping group that has a core group of guitar players, and then someone brings a few of those drums (bongo?) and that sort of thing, there's a harmonica player.... and they do old rock covers, oldies, that sort of thing, and I sing every tune I can! But, there's usually a fair amount of liquor involved, so the people listening don't care how bad I sound!
  34. Jim Kirkland
    Jim Kirkland
    This is the song I nominated and I don't know if I will get to post a video or not. I am on the road and will not be back at home until mid august. I just dropped the daughter off at her Army unit (in Indiana) and she is deploying to Iraq this next week. I love this tune. I do the song as taught by Rowland White in D. I will get this song video posted even if it is a little late.
    This has been a good trip. We did get to spend some quality time with the daughter. I also visited Butch Click in Frankport, IN. We did all the specs for the new mando. I am sure excited about this build. I should get to play it in the white around christmas. I will post some pics as they are available. Now I have to get with it and move some of the stuff that has been hanging around a while so I will be able to pay for the new mando.
  35. tuffblue
    tuffblue
    Unfortunately I will be out of the loop for a couple of weeks due to my moving to Hong Kong. I will attempt to learn the songs as best I can and then post when I am set up. Damn! Just as I was getting the hang of this. Keep up the great work everyone. Cheers Frank
  36. Susanne
    Susanne
    Eddie, it just takes practice if you want to sing. Anyone could probably sing if they just want to do it and start practicing. Lessons would probably help, but I just started singing and kept on singing. Probably I'm no master singer, but people say they like my singing.
  37. Joe-TN
    Joe-TN
    Well, here's my version of it. Mostly melody, with a few "detours" (otherwise, clams, I guess). I agree with Susi, it is a beautiful tune, and well suited to old timey type playing. I learned this one by ear.

It is very early here. Thank you for your forebearance.
    Joe
  38. Tracy Ballinger
    Tracy Ballinger
    Very nice, Joe! Great 'by ear' arrangement.
  39. Joe-TN
    Joe-TN
    Thank you, Tracy. When I tried to play along with my vid I saw how bad my tempo was...so recorded a guitar rythm bit and have made a replacement version..just as many errors, but at least a little more consistent tempo.
  40. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Awesome Joe! I love the screen behind you with you playing the guitar. You should do that every time you record.
  41. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    WOw a LOT has happened here since I visited this place.

Chris and Joe very nice on Kentucky Waltz --I used to play that so lets give it a try. Chris that mando of yours has abolone on the fingerboard? NICE.

So you now have some BLUEGRASS tunes?!!

OS I play Ashland Breakdown too - not as well as you do and I will post one tomorrow --I have not played if for sometime so I have to "review". The same with Kentuck waltz -- pretty rusty.

The noise you hear aside for my usual errors is thunder we having a MAJOR cloudburst this morning. Anyway its been a while since I played this and this is not quite right --but then with my playing that is the norm.

42. Joe-TN
    Joe-TN
    Chris,
    You are too kind. I enjoyed your rendition, very very nice. Based on your videos, I guess it's like they say about golf, if you really want to improve your game start an an earlier age.
  43. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Thanks Joe. Bernie, Are you a fan of bluegrass? Because you got pretty bluegrassy on that one! Nice.
  44. billkilpatrick
    it's so hot here in italy that i feel i've been doing the kentucky mazurka. fuzzy recording, made in the relative cool of the house:

linked to joe-tn's recording.
  45. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Awesome Bill! Is this the first song we've done that someone sings on? Sounds great Bill! Stay cool.
  46. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Thanks Chris -- well Kentucky Waltz was written by Bill Monore so that makes it bluegrass by defination! I picked around on it a while this morning and I'm going to post another version because I finally remembered how I like to play it!!
  47. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Great Bill -- way to break the new Loar 600 in!!

I like your video -- The Sinatra meets Monroe Waltz! Cool!

But then you are in Italy so it make sense!
  48. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Sounded more like Sam Cooke meets Bill Monroe to me, but either way, it was a lot of fun, well done Bill.
  49. billkilpatrick
    i sing with my eyes shut - call me "ol' glue eyes." grazie molto ...
  50. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    OK. I'd like to take another bite out of the old apple on this one -- I more or less figured out how I used to play it and I added some rhythm to keep me on track!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast