Week #39 ~ Flop Eared Muled

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    The tune is week is Flop Eared Mule. I believe this to be an Old Time tune. Will get back with ABC, etc (if I can find it) as I'm in the middle of something right now, but knew that ya'll were anxiously awaiting the official announcement!
  2. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I hope you won't think it's a flop once you've 'eared my mule

I listened to the version on Mike Compton and David Grier's CD "Climbing The Walls" for inspiration. And for the full audio experience that YouTube can't deliver, here's a link to the mp3 with Google Player.
  3. SweetTea
    SweetTea

Here is my feeble attempt at Flop Eared Mule played on a mandolin that cost less than its cheap case. If my teenagers would quit spending all of my disposable income I might be able to buy the real thing. Oh well for now its something to play and learn on.
  4. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Good job, and good to hear you playing, SweetTea. That mando doesn't sound too bad, it certainly looks playable which is the main thing - what make is it?
  5. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here is a link to Jay Buckey's notation & tab

I didn't think it would be on www.thesession.org, but it was, as The Donkey Reel. Here is the ABC from that site.

X: 1
    T: Donkey, The
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    R: reel
    K: Dmaj
    |:=f2^f2 c2d2|ABAG FED2|E2EF GECE|DEFG A4|
    =f2^f2 c2d2|ABAG FED2|E2EF GECE|1 D2F2 D4:|2 D2F2 D2||
    |:cd|efed cAcd|efed cBA2|B2Bc d2^G2|ABcd e2cd|
    efec efec|efed cBA2|B2Bc dB^GB|A2c2 A2:||

This page, on abcnotation.com has several listings for Flop Eared Mule.
  6. SweetTea
    SweetTea
    It's a Rogue. I have had it for a couple of years now. I will probably take another 2 years to buy another one. I love to go to music shops and play all the different instruments then I can't decide which one I really want. Half the fun is the hunting anyway. It's all good. I just wish I had your talent.
  7. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Sweet Tea, the least expensive, best sounding mandolin I've experienced so far, has been a Mid Missouri (Big Muddy). Bought used, very affordable, and great sounding!
  8. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I play this tune in our band, but this version I've recorded, probably doesn't sound anything like it... as it's truly a 5 string banjo tune!

I multi-tracked this in Garage Band, playing my Collings MT2O and my Petersen Cittern. Kinda rough, but had to come up with those different parts!

Click here for mp3
  9. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    That's a great punk rock ending, and so different from how I've heard the song done around here - I enjoyed the arrangement too.
  10. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    OS, thanks! That ending is about the only thing that resembles how our band plays it!
  11. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Ya'll have patience with me, I'm like a kid with a new toy, wait, I AM a kid with a new toy.

After listening to that last mp3, I decided that it needed more attention. So, I tweaked it some more, so you can hear my sorry attempt at something like chopping.... doesn't sound that great, but since I tried so hard to do them, I want to hear it!

Click Here.
  12. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    You gotta chop for the mule's ears to flop.
  13. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I do hope we're going to get some more versions of this. Nine people voted for this one, and I have their names down here. I don't want to start reading them out...
  14. Eddie Sheehy
    Well I voted for it so I'll post what I can in one quick and sloppy take...Short and sweet (like an asses gallop)... This is my Floppy Ass...

15. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I'm proud of your ass Eddie. By the way, which mandolin is that - it sounds really good!
  16. Eddie Sheehy
    That's my latest acquisition - a Dearstone D1A. I really like it, better than my an F5L I used to have... I expect to have this down better in a few weeks, it's a fun tune...
  17. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    That Dearstone really is top notch IMHO. I look forward to hearing you play it some more.
  18. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    OS stop your whining, I succumb to your feeble attempt at intimidation.

Here's Flop Eared Mule on my Fletcher tenor guitar with backup played on my Weber octar.

Today my webcam broke so I recorded this with my digital camera. Can anyone tell the difference?
  19. Eddie Sheehy
    You look younger?
  20. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Thanks Eddie you'll figure prominently in my will.
  21. Eddie Sheehy
    Leave me the OCTAR...
  22. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Excellent, perfect amount of jauntiness.
  23. Susanne
    Susanne
    Yeeha, Flop Eared Mule, that's a really neat tune. I've played it a while but never got any flow in it. Tonight I tried adding some hammer-ons and it seems to work quite ok. Here's my first attempt, I used Garage Band with mandolin and guitar, some tempo drifting, but hey, I'm just singing with joy over being able to play stringed instruments!!!
    The photos are of favourite places and I think I forgot to edit the second text The snow pictures are all taken today, the weather here is totally crazy.

OS, you sound great! Very bluegrass, but good
    Barbara, I agree, that version is punky. I love it!!!!

24. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Susi, great video & playing!
  25. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks Susi - a very pretty version and I enjoyed the pictures too. Good to have you back.
  26. Susanne
    Susanne
    Thanks OS. It seems to be the most common oldtime version (which is what I play most of the time, I sort of drift further and further away from bluegrass). I have no idea how I learned this tune. I probably heard it here and there and got it stuck in my head, and then started playing it. Mike Compton and David Grier probably helped as well. That's a nice CD they've put together.
  27. woodwizard
    woodwizard
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEDixWQWvzA My OT band the other night in an Irish pub
  28. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    I'm late with this one, but I saw it as one of the tunes of the week that I missed and thought I'd go ahead and post as this is a favorite of mine. This is my Morgan Monroe MMS-4 Phantom.

29. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Martin, I don't see a link for your version. Maybe it's my browser acting up?
    I love this tune. It's definitely one I'm planning to catch up on soon. I do have a fiddle version recorded from a while back, but the mandolin is being stubborn, like a...well, you know.
    Oh, and Eddie, I'm very jealous of your beautiful Dearstone. Ray makes his mandolins right down the road so to speak. Someday, I really do want one of his with a redwood top.
  30. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    That's odd Marcelyn. I can see it. I use Internet Explorer. The link is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNs_hBIbtfA.
  31. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Martin, when you embed your YouTube videos, it looks to me like maybe you're pasting in the whole embed code from YouTube. On some browsers that will prevent your video from playing. The best way to do it is just to put just the code, in this case TNs_hBIbtfA, in the YouTube dialog. Then it will look like this:

32. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Yes, OS, that's what I want to do. Can you type out for me exactly what the link would look like then?
  33. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Hey Martin, I found it now. I like you're hammer ons.
  34. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Thanks Marcelyn. HO's and PO's are the only way my right hand can keep up with my left. I've always had a bit of a stiff right hand/wrist.
  35. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Martin, if you're using the "Quick Reply", click the "Go Advanced" button in the bottom right. Then click the YouTube icon in the tool bar, and type just the code for your movie, TNs_hBIbtfA (in this case) into it.

I see now that they've updated the site with another way to embed video, which appears in the "Quick Reply" mode as well, and for that version you have to type the entire URL of your video, so click the icon and enter http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNs_hBIbtfA
  36. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    OS, I hadn't noticed that they had added the 'insert video' to the quick reply, but that's good to know. The one in the advanced reply that says "tube" only supported you tube videos, and this new one, looks like it supports others.

So... take note! If you use the Quick Reply, and click that last icon above the message pane (insert video), what you paste there is the complete URL of your video (you can probably just 'copy' the url from the url address of your video, and 'paste' that complete url into the "insert video" pane.

If you are using the advanced reply, you will notice that the new forum has some new options in the icons. There's the familiar "tube" icon, but those around it refer to embedding videos as well. There is the 'insert video' like in the quick reply, where you paste the whole URL. There's also one for myspace and vimeo. I've never tried those, so I'm not sure how that works.
  37. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Thanks OS. I didn't realize there was a YouTube icon in the Advanced Mode. I was entering the entire URL at the Quick Reply box. I think that's why my vids were "expaned." I'll try using the YouTube tool instead.
  38. Tony Avitua
    Tony Avitua
    My third video attempt for now...

39. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Good clean picking Tony.
  40. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Good job Tony. Very clean and a good steady rythm. Keep at it.
  41. bbcee
    bbcee
    Blowing the dust off of this one ...

We're doing Flop-Eared Mule over in the Newbies forum. I wound up doing mine as a medley and thought to post it here. I did a terrible job of synching my fake playing to the track-sorry about that. Anyway, hope you all enjoy it.

42. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    That's really impressive. You play through the tunes calmly, without any errors, and with very good tone. It's good that you're happy in the Newbies group, but you aren't a newbie.
  43. bbcee
    bbcee
    Thank you very much, Gelsenbury, that's really appreciated.

I guess it's funny to still be posting in the Newbies group, but it's also a nice group of people - which is maybe why I've been posting both there & here. It's hard to leave.
  44. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice rhythm there Bbcee. Strange, I missed this one last time.

Here’s a version using thirds and paragliding clips!
    Enjoy!

X:1
    T: The Flop-Eared Mule
    R: polka
    M: 2/4
    L: 1/8
    K: Dmaj
    |:f2f2d2d2|ABAF D2 D2|E2 EF GF E2|1 DEFG A2 A2:|2 D2FD2D2||
    |:efec efec|efec A2 A2|B2 Bc dc B2|1 ABcd e2 e2:|2 A2c2A2A2||
    T:3rds above part
    |:a2a2f2f2|cdcA F2 F2|G2 GA BA G2|1 FGAB c2 c2:|2 F2AF2F2||
    |:gage gage|gage c2 c2|d2 de fe d2|1 cdef g2 g2:|2 c2e2c2c2||

45. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Simon, this video is a nice excuse for dividing your interests between mandolin and paragliding. In fact, I’m jealous!
  46. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    No need to be jealous Frithjof, I haven’t even got a paraglider!
  47. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine picking there, Simon. A great wee tune that drives along well.
  48. bbcee
    bbcee
    Nice one, Simon, the tempo’s really flying along there.
  49. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thank you Gentlemen, I did even consider playing the sixth harmony and pasting it over the top of a third verse, but maybe next time.
  50. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    The music goes well with the paragliding! Your playing is confident and accurate as usual, without losing the heart and spirit of the melody.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast