Night in that Land

1. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    This slow air was composed by the late Scottish musician and composer Johnny Cunningham, brother of Phil who is also a prolific composer and performer. Johnny was a superb fiddle player and Phil an accordion maestro.

I was lucky enough to be with a friend in the hills near home on the morning of Saturday 18th December and got photos of the amazing inversion which was covering a great part of Scotland. We climbed quickly out of the solid cloud base into blue skies and a panoramic vista across the land.

https://youtu.be/3QHsmPNCTkk
  2. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I totally love all of this John. Beautiful tune, beautifully played and thematic photos for mood....Nice production, all 'round !
  3. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    I am more and more sure that John is a Merlin of music, give him a mandolin and a guitar, and he performs magic ...
  4. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Great music and impressive pictures, it doesn't get much better in our kind of video, John!
  5. John W.
    John W.
    Very nice job, John - I agree with Ginny's comment about it being a nice, all round production...the pics of the cloud inversion, and the close ups, suit the tune as it is played.
  6. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Very nice movement in your playing John.
    I like the images too, looks like you’re having similar weather to us over here.
  7. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great production, John. I like these different layers of music/fill ins.
    I also like this view above the clouds or high inversion fog while hiking or skiing.
  8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks very much, all of you. I loved this tune the first time I heard it being played on a fiddle, and thought it might just be adaptable to the mandolin. I used two separate guitar tracks on the recording, one with the chords in open position (panned to the left) and the second (panned to the right) with a capo at the 7th fret. The key is G Major.
  9. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Excellent John
  10. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Excellent video! It looks and sounds great.
  11. bbcee
    bbcee
    Wonderful stuff, John, lovely arrangement. Thanks for sharing it with us.
  12. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks,David, Dennis and Bruce.
  13. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Exactly the serene and moving stuff to be expected from Johnny Cunningham and John Kelly. And an inversion so low the wind turbines are sticking out!
  14. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Bertram. You spotted the wind turbines above Glendaruel. Argyll (my home county) has seen a big upsurge in windfarms in recent years and the locations can be contentious at times trying to balance the natural scenery and beauty against the benefits of clean power generation. We rely so much on tourism in our part of the country yet we realise the need to look at other means of energy production. The spot I was taking the pictures from is the location of a tiny, privately-owned hydro-electric scheme and they too are becoming increasingly popular and utilise the abundant water supply that we have in our hills. I know of at least two more of them within walking distance from this one.
  15. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Another beautiful piece John! Thanks again for providing quality entertainment from outside the main stream.
  16. Lucindalin
    Lucindalin
    Lovely. I keep coming back to listen and watch again. Luci.
  17. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Frank and Luci. This Johnny Cunningham composition has certainly caught the interest of our regulars here, and rightly so; it is a lovely piece.