Medicine Bow ~ Peter Ostroushko

1. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    [YOUTUBE=[/YOUTUBE]
    Ostroushko's Medicine Bow from the National Parks PBS series.
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Here is Ginny's video that she has been having trouble posting. I can vouch for it being well worth a watch, folks.

Ginny, I am posting in the old "Go Advanced" mode and adding in the URL below as backup. Hope this works. I will email you again later.

https://youtu.be/isD391L6LlI
  3. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Really nice to see you Ginny, with another blockbuster performance. Lovely playing and as I’ve said before, cinematic images. How do you do that?

And
    [*YOUTUBE]*[/YOUTUBE]

the second ‘*’ is where you put a standard youtube address.
    And remove both *

Good luck!
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Something has gone wrong with your posting here, Simon. I am seeing only a black screen and the "An error occurred" message!
  5. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I tired your way Simon, I tried everyone's way - it didn't work. But thank you John !! This is my last OSTROUSHKO posting - he does nice tunes but really, you have to move forward. It was really nice to see the comments from those on the other side of the ocean when I woke up this morning - I had scheduled it on YT to start at 12:01..and I slept peacefully. I hope I can figure out how to fix this before my next one - but it will be a few weeks, so maybe I'll learn something before then.
    THANK you for the comments on my YT page - I really appreciate them !!
    I wanted to add that that is Emory on the 'muted banjo' in the middle somewhere. Ostroushko has some sort of slide guitar thing so we just improvised.
  6. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Glad you posted this fine tune here at the SAW group! I subscribe to your YouTube channel so your new video popped up in my feed and I didn't have to wait at all. Which is a good thing because your videos keep getting better and better. One question, what kind of mandolin do you use? It has the most beautiful sound...
  7. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Nice recording. Thanks for sharing.
  8. John W.
    John W.
    Another lovely version of a another lovely Ostroushko tune.
  9. Lucindalin
    Lucindalin
    Beautiful.
  10. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    So sweet Ginny, beautiful
  11. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    That's a lovely tune, very well played, and with great audio and video quality. Your decoration is very tasteful. I love candles.
  12. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Wonderful, Ginny--everything from the music to the video.
  13. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Thank you !!! - your comments are very much appreciated. Michael...I have two main ones, one is a Larrivee, my first good one that I bought years ago and also I have a Northfield A5 Special. The one in this recording is the Larrivee. Dennis - I was going to light the candles but when I did Song For A Winter's Night, I lit the little reindeer's butt on fire and then spilled scalding wax on my hand in the very last scene. So the twinkle lights are as much for safety as ambience..
  14. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    The normal video button works, apparently. It is important to put the whole URL in the little dialog box field, but with the first parameter (v=...) only, no trailing parameters with question marks. It works Ginny, and if the scatman can do it, so can you

The reindeer butt story is fun, too, but I thought it's the nose that's supposed to glow
  15. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Beautiful playing, Ginny. I like your collaborations with Emory.
  16. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Ginny I love your interpretations of these tunes. You and Emorys' recordings have such gentleness and peace.
  17. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    A very fine version of this beautiful Ostroushko tune, Ginny. Your mandolin sounds great when you play it.
    (I once loaded the notation for this tune down fom Folktunefinder, but the guitar accompaniment had strange chords like c#mb5 on the last eighth note of certain measures, so I gave up. Listening to your recording, I can't hear these chords in Emory's playing and it still sounds fine. So...maybe...)
  18. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Thank you Christian. Many times I take a sheet of music to Emory with the chords already on it and he spends five minutes changing them. Not being a guitarist - i just let him play what he wants. Although we did have fun with the muted banjo. He actually doesn't like to do parts in the recording but this one really needed something unusual to match Ostroushko's lap slide guitar (?) so we compromised with the banjo - as long as it was muted ! It makes a completely different sound.
  19. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Thanks for letting us hear this lovely tune. I'm not very familiar with Peter Ostroushko and his tunes.
    You created a very special emotional atmosphere with this recording. I don't know the builder of your mandolin, is this a Kimble? It sounds incredible full and warm in your hands.
  20. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Hi Hendrik - hope you are back more often for us to hear you play ! The mandolin is a Larrivee. Canadian made and not made now although they have promises for the future. My other mandolin is a Northfield A5 Special. I play them equally so one doesn't get jealous of the other and like start a whole cat fight or something.
  21. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Pretty tune!

- Jess
  22. Munnix
    Munnix
    Ginny. Lovely tune and what a gentle touch in your playing. Brilliant!
    So sorry that this is your last Peter Ostroushko tune. Love Peter's tunes and playing. I almost had a lesson with Peter once. He was at a local festival and offered me a lesson after his performance. Wouldn't you know, as soon as we tuned up the tornado siren came on. End of that get together.
  23. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Munnix - thank you. I did four of his songs - I may revisit but want to move on to a few other projects. I noticed your YT was 'unlisted' - are you going to 'publish'? Then I can subscribe to you.
  24. bbcee
    bbcee
    Lovely tune, lovely vibe, lovely mandolin ... lovely, Ginny! Thanks for posting it.