Old Missouri

1. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Here's a tune Bruce suggested for another collaboration. It's a fun old time tune in D. Couldn't find any tab/notation for it. Bruce is playing his 3 point oval hole mandolin and electric mandola. I'm playing my Heiden A5. I found some FSA pics of Missouri during the depression for the video.

Editing to add that Bruce provided all the rhythm tracks for this with bass by iReal Pro. All I had to do was play my mando parts and do the mix/video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7KNwn-HSIU

2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Another fine collaboration, gents. You manage to sound like you are in the same place together in your playing.
  3. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    Definitely a top notch duo, always a pleasure to listen!
  4. bbcee
    bbcee
    Yea, that Don, he's a lazy one He crushed it as always.

Thanks for the nice feedback. I wanted to add I learned this tune from a Lynn "Chirps" Smith record, "Down in Little Egypt". Chirps is a fiddler and Missouri fiddle tune collector/archiver. Here's what he had to say about Old Missouri:

"Old Missouri is a traditional tune. Garry Harrison collected it on 24 May 1977 from Harry Elie of Dundas, Richland Co., Illinois. The tune is No. 176 in Garry's book, Dear Old Illinois (Pick Away Press, 2007). One can hear Mr. Elie play it on Hear Old Illinois: The Dear Old Illinois 3-CD Set, Pick Away Press, 2007.

Harry Dale Elie was born 26 September 1906 & died 4 December 1986. Per Garry's notes, 'He learned many tunes from his grandparents.' I am fairly certain that it was his maternal grandfather, Oliver Benjamin Welch (1856-1942) as his maternal grandmother, Mary Ellen Pendleton, died in 1906.
    "

Lots of fun to do another collaboration with Don, and also fun to try & fit an electric instrument in.
  5. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    As John said, you sound like a tight and experienced duo even as an online collaboration. Thank you for sharing the fruits of your labour here.
  6. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Very nice work gents, well done.
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    The duo strikes again!
    Really well played with great production Mis Compadres, has a nice taking-turns Bluegrass feeling. Very enjoyable.
  8. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Ya, it might be time for a "name", rather than "collaboration". You guys really got this down to an uncomplicated and seamless blend of two different players, not easily done, and your not even in the same place. Another great performance!
  9. bbcee
    bbcee
    Thanks very much, you all.
    Frank, you might be right. Maybe the next poll could be "Choose a name for Don & Bruce's collaboration project (no cuss words)".
  10. John W.
    John W.
    Another great ‘collaboration’ Don and Bruce.
  11. Munnix
    Munnix
    Don, thanks for this tune. Enjoyed your rendition a lot.
    BTW, recently downloaded your CD. great stuff!
  12. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Thanks John and Munnix. And happy to hear you're enjoying the CD, Munnix. I mailed one out today, if that was you.