The Young Black Cow (O'Neill, No. 220)

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is a traditional Irish slow air in waltz time, collected by Francis O'Neill and published in O'Neill's Music Of Ireland, where it is tune No. 220. Sheet music (in O'Neill's original key) is at:

http://www.freesheetmusic.net/oneill...ngBlackCow.pdf

I first came across this tune through the playing of Dave Swarbrick, whose version is very beautiful, although only somewhat distantly related to O'Neill's.

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar

Martin
  2. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Very nice, David! It's a lovely tune, and it's a bit surprising how obscure it is -- maybe it's the off-putting name. The version you found is somewhere in the middle between O'Neill and Swarbrick.

For comparison, here is Swarbrick's version in a studio and two live performances (giving me the chance to use the fancy "YouTubeStart" and "mp3" tags in the Cafe software):

Martin
  3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    [For some reason there seems to be a post missing in this thread, making it look like I'm talking to myself...]

Further to my old recording of the O'Neill version of this slow air, I have now also recorded Swarbrick's, taken from the "Dave Swarbrick Fiddle Tunes" book by Maartin Allcock.

Comparing the two, I have to say that Swarb picked the nicer variant -- this one is a joy to play on mandolin!

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  4. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Great tune and playing. I especially like the Swarbrick version. Haunting. Will have to learn this one.
  5. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I've revisited the Dave Swarbrick version of this tune, this time on the Vinaccia bowlback.

1898 Giuseppe Vinaccia mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  6. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Your Vinaccia bowlback delivers a haunting sound under your fingers! Well done Martin.
  7. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A fine, uncomplicate arrangement here, Martin. The two instruments go so well together in your version here.
  8. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, John and Frithjof. It's one of those tunes where the melody needs the space between the notes to breathe.

Martin
  9. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nicely done.