A Place in the Heart

1. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison

First of all - it is my Dad's 100th Birthday today. I will be heading out shortly for a family get-together, and want to show him the video when I get there.
    I know that David Hansen did this song but cannot find it in my search so if you would like to move it, I'm OK with that. ( all I found were people thanking someone for posting it. )
    I also apologize for the quality of the video - which I have determined is the low light affecting the video. Did you know our very own Scott Tichenor had a hand in Butch Baldassari recording this song? Played here on the Northfield A5 Special with Emory Lester as my accomplice.
    The roll-top desk was my father's, he gave it to me when he had to move to the Veteran's Centre where he resides.
    I hope you like the video !
  2. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Lovely Ginny! I can feel the tenderness and love you put into this. Big congrats to your Dad! And enjoy the time!
  3. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I wonder what I'll be like when I'm 100, but I am sure that being given a gift like that would keep me going 10 more.
  4. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Beautiful song played for a very special occasion! Well done!
  5. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    That’s a beautiful birthday present for your father. You did it with love – that’s the main message!
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Such a fine production in all its aspects, Ginny. You have done your dad proud and he must be delighted with your gift.
  7. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Thank you for your kind comments. We are just home from the 'party'. It was so much fun he fell asleep half way through. Fortunately I played the movie for him before he got tired so he was able to see and understand it.
  8. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Love the playing and the video, Ginny.
  9. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    I really like this video and the sound you coax from your mandolin, Ginny! One question: what instrument does Emory Lester play? Must be some kind of keyboard.
  10. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    CC - I'm never really sure what Emory does. We record in his studio until I get a good solid track and then I leave it with him. He's done decades of engineering and I leave it to him. Sometimes he does a bit of everything and sometimes it's just mandolin and guitar. You can usually hear his arpeggios and then he throws in some bass. We have a song in the works now where I think the muted banjo with slide will be used. (??)
    Also thank you, Sherry. When I was trying to find the thread to post this song I saw your comment to someone from years ago - but couldn't find the actual song.
  11. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Interesting, Ginny! I'll have to look for that comment!
  12. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    beautiful Ginny
  13. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    This is the link Ginny, you can just copy it onto your notepad app for all future uses.
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...856&do=discuss
  14. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    Just beautiful.
  15. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Really nicely played Ginny.
  16. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Thank you for your comments. The video part of A Place in the Heart came out a bit out of focus and John has been giving me advice on low-light situations with my camera. I have a plan to do three 'Heart' tuns and at some point put all three together. I've been working on the last one for a while now. I'm trying to find a video location that hopefully encompasses the tune.
  17. pluckinstrings
    pluckinstrings
    I am so happy that I found this post of yours!! Coincidentally I have also been working on this one and ended up posting it today. It reminds me of my Mom and Grandma.
  18. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Really nicely done Jason with some nice ornamentation. Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to you.
  19. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A lovely version of a beautiful tune, Jason. Surprised that only you and Ginny have done versions so far; maybe the thread is not at an end yet!
  20. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    That is a pretty tune, and well played on both mandolin and guitar Jason.
  21. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    David H has a really nice version as well as Martin, Manfred Hacker - lots of players. I probably put this in the wrong spot as I often do.
  22. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Fine playing on both instruments, Jason. And a nice tune.
  23. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Well played on both instruments, Jason. Fine recording.
    I assume many of us try and play this lovely tune now and again.
  24. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Wow, great mandolin playing! Both skilful and tasteful. Soulful, some might say.
  25. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Lovely, fine playing Jason. Really nice interplay between the two instruments.