Week #34 ~ The Wind that Shakes the Barley (reel)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner (by one vote) is The Wind That Shakes the Barley (reel).

I've found this on thesession.org

Here's an ABC

X: 1
    T: Wind That Shakes The Barley, The
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    R: reel
    K: Dmaj
    |A2AB AFED|B2BA BcdB|A2AB AFED|gfed BcdB|
    A2AB AFED|B2BA BcdB|A2AB AFED|gfed Bcde|
    |f2fd g2ge|f2fd Bcde|f2fd g2fg|afed Bcde|
    f2fd g2ge|f2fd Bcde|f2ae g2be|afed BcdB|

In searching YouTube, I found our own Kyle had posted one about a year and a half ago.....
  2. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    Man... I'm way ahead of my time!! haha

but, since all my old videos are lousy, I'll have to do it over again for the group
  3. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    So here is my version.
    I apologize to those of you who have grown up with this kind of music.
    I love it, but mostly play it out of books without the necessary cultural background.
    This one has a lot of drones ....
    Manfred
  4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Don't apologize, Manfred. You got what it takes to convey the mood of the tune, your version would be perfectly good to go in any session, in fact sounding pretty authentic with the relaxed and constant timing, and those drones are about exactly what I am going to do when I am done practising.
  5. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    I like it Manfred. Keep them coming.
  6. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    If Barbara can wear her PJ's then I can wear my robe. Here's The Wind That Shakes The Barley played on my Weber octar.

7. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    great stuff David!
  8. Michael Wolf
    Michael Wolf
    Sounds nice with all that drones, Manfred. And that octar fits this tune especially well for my taste, David.

Here´s a version with mando and one with reso:

9. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Michael, those were both great! I'm not sure what you're doing the next to last measure.... I don't like the way thesession.org has it (it seems wrong) and I've been experimenting with what notes to play there, so I'll have to figure out what it is you are playing (after my coffee kicks in and the fog clears from my head!)
  10. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely stuff, Michael - especially on the tenor guitar.

I agree with Barb about not liking the next to last measure as it appears on thesession.org. I've been playing that part as it's played on the Foinn 2 recording of it - here's the last two measures: | defg a2ab | afed BcdB A ||
  11. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Nice work from Manfred and Michael. Here's mine - if it seems familiar, I just learned it by watching David Hansen's video: thanks David!

12. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Thanks Jill, that works great... makes it into that kind of tune that HARD to stop!
  13. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    OS - nice job on that, sounds great!

Barbara - glad to help!
  14. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    David with the Octar and Michael with the TG already made fine and subtle suggestions that this might be a great tune for larger instruments. Here's my rough and not-so-subtle version. And I had no problems with that next to last measure at all...

15. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Sounds great Bertram, and somehow Christmassy too
  16. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanx OS - now, is everything played with a white beard Christmassy? Pity I got nothing red to put on, but I might place a bottle of Coke on the table...
  17. chrisblack
    chrisblack
    Here's my go.

Chris

18. Tom Tax
    Tom Tax
    Here's my attempt at The Wind That Shakes the Barley. Tom

19. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Well done everyone! Really like the triplets in your version Chris!
  20. chrisblack
    chrisblack
    Thanks Gill, shame about my timing though, i noticed it's getting faster as the tune goes on - i'll have to get a bodhran player or a metronome.

Chris
  21. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Chris - being innately skeptical, I checked your performance against my metronome, 91 bpm rock steady the whole way. So you can save the money on the bodhran guy or the metronome - good job! Nice playing from Tom, too.
  22. chrisblack
    chrisblack
    Thanks - that's good to know, listening to it, I felt I speeded up part way through...

Chris
  23. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Sorry I'm so late on this one. I've been pretty busy remodeling a bathroom. I got a "ToneGard" for Christmas. See if you can tell!

24. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    You're certainly getting some nice tone out of that mando on this, so the tonegard may be helping, although a lot of it is just good picking.
  25. Dean Fields
    Dean Fields
    Chris, I always enjoy your posts. Every one I have viewed has been really well done. I think that OS is correct - good picking. Is this the first video without your hat? Seriously, great job.
  26. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    No, not the first without the hat. Thanks for the comments!
  27. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one Chris, that was great!
  28. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Very nice, Chris. I love my Tone Gard! Hey, the intro to your video says this is Rakes of Kildare!
  29. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Lovely playing, Chris. You have a very relaxed style in both hands.
  30. HddnKat
    HddnKat
    Okay, finally a tune I have learned before, so I can brush it up a bit and jump right back in. That pesky day job does so much interfere with my music learning...LOL

And now I understand all the hats in the videos - covers up a multitude of bad hair days, ha-ha!

Here I go - at the end I tried to see just how fast I can go without a total meltdown finger-tangling mess.

31. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Ok, wildly late, but hey, the holiday season can do that to you!

32. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Hey Kat, good to see you! Love the hat! I've been playing this tune with about the same feel you have, to me, with kind of a hornpipey lilt to it..... Jill, I've been trying to play this with triplets incorporated into it... yours are just awesome..... I will try, when I ever have the time, to record it both ways.....
  33. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Jill, nice variations and superb rapid fire triplets. You got this one nailed.
  34. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Thanks Dave and Barb!
  35. Michael Wolf
    Michael Wolf
    Jill, your playing is very groovy. These triples that you play later on part B are really nice.
  36. Eddie Sheehy
    Better late than never...

37. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Ah, that lovely 2 point again! Tell, me, is the body on that slightly deeper than the norm, or is it just a youtube optical illusion? Such a sweet sound!
  38. Eddie Sheehy
    Yes it has an extra-deep body - I have to use a Mandola armrest on it. This is #47 and I also have #26 which has a "normal" body but the neck joins the body at the 16th fret.
  39. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    I'm way late on this one!!! But here it is Sort of a fast version.

40. Chuck Naill
    Here is my contribution using an oval hole Eastman 504 and a Maring D-18.
    http://www.box.net/shared/2l7929n6n0
  41. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Very relaxed, Kyle, no need to run!

Wonderful, Chuck, that sounds like a little girl's wind-up musical box! Is it a normal size mandolin?
  42. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    Kyle, nicely filled out on this one too.
    Chuck, I like your clean, lively playing.
  43. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Here is my only somewhat late attempt at this:

This is my first try at adding a multi-track recording to a video. It feels like I'm "lip-synching", as you aren't hearing the video at all, but it seems to work. Of course, the audio quality is still vintage YouTube...
  44. Eddie Sheehy
    Excellent Dana. Any chance you'd multi-track a smile? I've been trying to add a smile to mine for ages... no luck yet though.
  45. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Whadda ya mean, I AM smiling.

Okay, so my editing software has limited special effects - no smiling or laughing, just a bit of a smirk. We are a serious bunch here, aren't we.
  46. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Dana, very nice! Yeah, the whole multi-track, then video, then sync them up.... hopefully, it'll come easier eventually! Smile? It doesn't even look like you BREATHE on this one!
  47. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Thanks, Barb. Yes, I guess I was so intent I forgot about the breathing thing. Not so necessary with a mando anyway. Now forgetting to breathe with a whistle...
  48. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I'm finally getting around to trying to record this. What do ya'll have for chords? I figure it's pretty easy... D and G... but can't find the other chord(s) that go in there!
  49. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Dana, if that was you smiling, I wouldn't want to see your scowl
    But the whistle is a really refreshing highlight in the mix. Sends me straight off to Clare.
  50. Eddie Sheehy
    It's a long, long way from Clare to here...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast