Farquhar and Hettie's Waltz

1. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Another Scottish tune to celebrate Burns Night: Farquhar MacRae was a Scottish highland fiddler and occasional tunesmith. Maybe John has heard of him. http://www.fiddle.com/_mndata/fiddle...cRaeEdweb).pdf
    He composed the following waltz:

He composed the following waltz:
  2. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Very pretty Christian, right up my alley. Sweet and peacefull...
  3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Very nice playing, Christian, and nice tune. I recorded it a very long time ago, back in 2010 before I first tried my hand at multi-tracking. I had more hair then, as well. Based on a transcription by Nigel Gatherer:

https://youtu.be/lafi9RqsNog

Martin
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Aye, Christian, a great favourite of mine and very popular with my fiddler friends too. I like your version here and also the photos, several of which are of the monument at Glenfinnan which commemorates the landing of Bonnie Prince Charlie in 1745 at the start of his ill-fated attempt to take the British crown. The railway viaduct was built by Sir Robert McAlpine and was one of the first poured concrete structures ever built. The viaduct is now famous because of the Harry Potter films.

Martin, a nice throwback to 2010 with just the solo mandolin. Lovely tone.
  5. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I wish I could post a single photo here (I don't know how) - my grandfather was a member of the Toronto Robbie Burns Literary Society - I'm sure it was back in the days of dinosaurs...but I have a great photo of him holding up the haggis and dressed in his homeland attire, tam and all. It came up as Facebook memory - which is how I remember when it's Robbie Burns day coming up.
    CC -I like your rendition here. Nicely done, as usual.
  6. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Well up to your usual standard, Christian. Well done. Love the colours of those photos.

And nice one Martin and actually very nostalgic sounding with the resonance and without the tremolo.
  7. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Christian and Martin, thank you for joining the Burns Night celebrations! I enjoyed both recordings of this tune.

Haggis is waiting in the fridge, and an almost new bottle of Glen Scotia whisky is calling my name already. I may skip the poems because I inevitably sound English when I speak English. But all this lovely music will do just fine.

The still image of Martin anno 2010 reminded me of someone ... I still haven't decided whether it was Umberto Eco or Antonello Venditti. Both are good things in my book, anyway.
  8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    January 25th - Robert Burns' Birthday, so a Scottish tune that has nothing to do with Burns but which I was prompted to record having listened to Christian's and Martin's versions. My recording is on octave mandolin and guitar, the guitar being recorded on two separate tracks. One has been capoed at the second fret to allow me to play in the key of D using chord shapes from the key of C, and the other track has chords played up at the 10th fret with no capo.

The pictures were taken in Glenbranter a few days ago and show the monument to Queen Victoria which sits above the village, and also Glenshellish Farm and the north end of Loch Eck. One of my regular walking places.

https://youtu.be/X4PQmzx8r3I
  9. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Perfect for the occasion, John! The music and photos go very well with the Glen Scotia.
  10. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Love the tune by all and the photos.
  11. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Lovely John, and I envy you your walking places.
  12. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    And John posting too, what a treat! Very Scottish feeling, well played and with some nice hiking country too.
  13. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    A young Martin, who knew. Very nice Martin! John, that was a beautiful arrangement, along with your usual excellent picking. It's no wonder though, surrounded by such daily inspiration.
  14. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    A pleasure to listen to all three versions!
  15. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Your Gibson mandolin really sounds fine, Martin.(at least when played by you solo)
    As Simon said: very Scottish version, John. Well, I'll look if I can find other tunes, that might inspire you.
  16. John W.
    John W.
    As Frithjof says, a pleasure to listen to all 3 recordings.
  17. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I've just posted a new recording of this tune as a set with Maggie West's Waltz, over at that tune's thread:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...#gmessage89551

Martin
  18. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Comment left on Maggie's thread, Martin!
  19. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    The resurgence of this tune has inspired me to try it again.
    This time in G major to practice the third position and with a second mandolin in the repeat.
  20. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Really nicely done, Christian.