Coleraine ~ Jig in A minor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This is a cool jig in A minor. The band I play in plays a set we call the jig set, Coleraine / Road to Lisdoonvarna / Blarney Pilgrim.

I'm playing it here on my Slingerland Tenor Banjo, which sounds foreign to my ear, as normally, in the band setting, I'd be playing mandolin, and Scott would be playing his 5 string banjo...

Eddie requested this tune, in preparation of his classes at the upcoming Zoukfest! I'm so jealous!!!!

2. Eddie Sheehy
    Thanks Barbara, those sharps/flats are interesting...
  3. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Ok, here it is again on my Collings MT2 O mandolin. I concentrated on staring at the camera, not looking at my mandolin, and bobbing my head like a bobble head doll on a bumpy road!

4. DavidHowell
    DavidHowell
    Haha i like your goals. I have a pretty goofy face when I play. Its like I mush my mouth out. Great playing as always.
    David
  5. hendrix2
    hendrix2
    Haha, you can keep your face very straight while playing. My face start cramping up in all directions and I do these weird things with my mouth etc...

Nice playing.
  6. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Barb, that reminds me of a large glass showcase that used to stand in the toy department of a famous department store 20 years ago in the town where I live. There was a band of monkeys in it, with instruments. You could insert a coin and they'd start moving with the music that came out of a speaker.
    When I played in a folk group, we had a number where we played Chief O'Neill's, moving just like those monkeys.

I learned Coleraine in Am, too. In our sessions, however, they normally play it in Bm, I put a capo on fret 2 then. But here goes in Am:

Bertram
  7. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Bertram, that was great! I notice you play your OM with mando fingering.... ie, you play your 5th fret with your ring finger, and your 7th fret with your pinky. I play my 5th frets with my pinky... and then have to jump up to the higher frets when necessary! I love your 'accent'.... much cooler than mine!
  8. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    The fingering, yes... I could never stop using the fingering I learned on the violin as a child. The 21" scale of this OM is about my upper limit for this, and in some situations I already have to use the pinky for fretting the 5th. Don't know when I'll be ready to move on to larger scales - maybe when my hands have grown a bit further

Bertram
  9. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    My OM & cittern are 22.5" scale, and I'm sure my hands are somewhat smaller than yours, so, that's my excuse!
  10. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I play a slightly different version of Coleraine and there's no way I could look at the camera the whole time without some major errors occurring.

11. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    David.... nice!
  12. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    I think I've read through this one in the Fiddler's Fakebook, and your version sounds more familiar to me, David. Very nice playing by you three. I especially liked the spirit of your playing, Bertram. That really grabbed me. Another one to add to my list.
  13. Eddie Sheehy
    You guys make it look soooo easy... My arm is movable again so I've started on Fancy and Coleraine tonight - since my wife's flight from Dulles was delayed and she won't be arriving until 12:30 a.m. I've a bit of peace and quiet to practice...
  14. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    David, wonderfully clean, carrying well that renaissance touch it has to it. That's exactly the version I originally learned from the Mandolin Picker's Fakebook, before I had to make shortcuts for the larger instrument and session speed.

Bertram
  15. Ptarmi
    Ptarmi
    OK .. here we go again & yet another chance to hear the large & small Sobell Mandolins side by side, playing the same tune.

By the way, I HAD to post this tune, simply because Coleraine is just 15 Miles from me here.

... sadly, there's absolutely no history of any Traditional Music in the town!

16. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    That seems to be the most complicated version so far, Ptarmi.
    I used to play it with lots of ornaments too, back when I played lighter instruments, but the OM forced me to cut a few corners.
  17. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Ptarmi, that was great. Can you post your ABC or notation for that version? I played my version along with yours, and they blend nicely, so I'd like to learn yours as a compliment to what I normally play... but you are going too fast for me to figure it out!
  18. Ptarmi
    Ptarmi
    Hey, glad you enjoyed it.

It is more or less the same as the one on the session:

X: 1
    T: Coleraine, The
    M: 6/8
    L: 1/8
    R: jig
    K: Amin
    |:"Am"EAA ABc|"G"Bee e2d| "C"cBA ABc| "E"B^GE E2 D|"Am"EAA ABc|
    "G"Bee e2d|"Am"cBA "E"B^GE|"Am"A2A A3:|"C"c3 cdc|
    "G"Bgg g2^g|"Am"aed cBA|"E"^GBA E^F^G|"Am"A^GA "Bm"BAB|
    "C"cde "Dm"fed|"Am"cBA "E"B^GE|"Am"A2A A3:|
  19. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Thanks, Dick. i was not a member for the original post of this tune. Always glad to see the old ones get a new life.

Michael
  20. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I like that version, Dick. I'm going to have to work on that.
  21. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    This song came to the top a while back, and I've been working on it ever since. Here's my version of the Coleraine Jig on a 2002 Old Wave.

22. jamann
    jamann
    Marcelyn, Very nice! I really like the sound your getting out of that mandolin. You have a unique style of playing that I like. I enjoyed that, thanks!
  23. Steve Jeter
    Steve Jeter
    Wow , all great takes , on this tune . Its new to me.
    I liked all of them , but was most partial to Barbara & Davids , slightly slower & mellower take. I want to learn it like that, like I said I liked them all, those just hit me as how I want to play it . Barbara, I liked your tenor,,, but your mando gave it that feel that made it move me.
    Thanks for introducint me to this tune
    Steve
  24. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Well done Marcelyn.
  25. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Thanks guys, it's such an adictive tune. Sounds like one you'd like too, Martin.
  26. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nicely played Marcelyn, and I love the sound of your Old Wave!
  27. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Ooo something happened here and I saw it not. Marcelyn that is the beautiful way it's meant to be played and about how I originally played this tune after learning it from the Mandolin Picker's Fakebook.
  28. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Hey, thanks, Bertram and Jill. That makes my day!
  29. Steve Jeter
    Steve Jeter
    Im probably paranoid but,,, If my comment came off as demeaning to any other players other than David & Barbara ,, I certainly didnt mean it that way.

If I sounded like that . I apoligize
    I just dont want anyone to feel like I was disliking their playing . When I watch these vids for a song,,, I look and see what I want and hopefully am able to capture out of a tune. Those 2 just seemed like the ones for me.
    Steve
  30. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    No problem here Steve - you know, with an OM you get used to be a minority role model only
  31. Steve Jeter
    Steve Jeter
    Bertram, I hope to join the minority someday. Id like a OM myself.
    Steve
  32. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Would someone mind telling Steve it takes a whole lot more than that to offend me? I'm still not speaking to him.
  33. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Steve, Marcelyn says.... bbbwwwUUHAHAHA
  34. Eddie Sheehy
    Jeez, Marcelyn. Now see what you've done!
  35. Steve Jeter
    Steve Jeter
    Yall are great !!! I sometimes say things that can be taken , in a way different than I mean. My wife has "helped" me understand that.
    She says I have no tact, I look puzzled and reply "what did I say" LOL
    Steve
  36. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nice job everyone! Ptarmi, thanks for posting your ABC. This is my first attempt at a jig and I hope I got the tempo right. Added the guitar chords just because they were fun to work out. Hopefully it sounds somewhat Irish (in a Southern California sort of way...)

37. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Dreamy and homely rendition Stuche - the sort that could go on forever for me. Nice dramatic ending, too.
    BTW how do you pronounce your moniker, is it stoo-chee?
  38. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    It's pronounced "stoosh", which is a nickname from high school where no one could pronounce my real name: Pastucha. First name: Michael. Always enjoy your videos and was wondering how you cope with the increased scale length of an OM?
  39. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Very pleasant "Stoosh." Like those triplets. Sound Irish enough for me.
  40. Eric Charles
    Eric Charles
    Stuche: I love the great tone you get out of the recording of your F2 tone (on this and a few other recordings I've seen of yours). Good stuff.

How are you capturing that tone so well? Is it your mic? Something else? Would love to hear what works for you. Thanks!
  41. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    The tone is because of a great mandolin, which I tune just before recording and the best recording mic i could afford (Rode NT-1). Then experimenting to find the best position of the mic (about 12-18 inches away and below the sound hole towards the neck of the mandolin works best on this oval hole mandolin.) Lots of practice recording with the mandolin. (And it takes a lot of practice to keep up with the great players on this site!)
  42. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That is an excellent version of Coleraine, Stuche, I'm going to start bugging you for sound files of your recordings. You're building up a collection that I'd love to have on CD.
  43. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    I'm a sucker for tunes in minor keys, so I had to have a go at this one. Plus I got to steal a bit from everyone's great versions above. Great playing y'all. So here's my version of Cholera Rain.

Played on a Gilchrist Model 1, recorded into iMovie using my H2 as a USB mic.
  44. Eddie Sheehy
    Cholera Rain I'm still working on it but in Bm...
  45. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one, Don, and as usual I'm drooling over the sound of that Model 1!!
  46. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Very nicely done and what a great sounding mandolin in your hands. It's a pleasure to listen to you play.
  47. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Good one Don, and I think I guess what you stole from mine - I am missing one of my full chords now

Cholera Rain sounds like a good title for an adventure movie with Harrison Ford and Prince...
  48. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Thanks folks. The Model 1 is definitely my favorite to play, especially on the purty tunes like this one.
  49. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    This is a great wee tune and one I had not heard till it was posted here. Lots of interesting versions and here is mine on mandolin with guitar backing. Audio done once again using Reaper DAW.

50. Eddie Sheehy
    Bertram, you haven't posted yet so that makes you a day late AND a chord short...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast