Catharsis

1. WillFly
    WillFly
    I love this modern reel by Amy Cann - which stretches my tenor banjo technique and my fingers to the limits! It's written in Gm so, for my tenor (tuned CGDA), I've capo'ed on the 3rd fret which simplifies the fingering slightly for my poor ageing hands. Here's the abc and a video I did this morning:

X:1
    T: Catharsis
    C:Amy Cann
    N:Rythm : reel
    V:1
    M:4/4
    L:1/8
    K:Gm =C =D _E =F =G =A _B
    DG GF DG GF |DF GA B/A/G AF |DG GF DG GF |DC B,C B,A, B,A, |
    DG GF DG GF |DF GA B/A/G Ac |dc Bc BA GF |[1DG GF G2 G2 ::[2
    DG GF GA Bc ||:|dG G c GG BG |GA GG GA Bc |dF Fc FF BF |
    F A FF GA Bc |dE Ec EE BE |E A EE GA Bc |dc Bc BA GF |[1
    DG GF GA Bc :|[2DC B,C B,A, B,A, ||G,8 |]

2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great new tune, Will. Like that tenor sound.
  3. Chris Hasty
    Chris Hasty
    That's been a favorite at our session for the last couple of months, especially when the fiddledex is through the roof (Fiddledex= number of fiddlers present at your session). We sometimes follow it with Tam Lin IIRC.

I love playing this tune on the mandolin, and I love/hate playing it on my tenor banjo with the ~23" scale.

See if I can dig up a recording of us playing it. I'm sure I've got one... or I might just have to do a recording myself.
  4. WillFly
    WillFly
    We also play it in our band - except we do Tam Lin first in the set!
  5. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Will, that's a great tune and well executed! Really digging that tenor guitar sound!
  6. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    Here's a version with Julia Delaney I made the other day as part of my on-the-unpaid-job Go Pro learning project.

7. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Great together- beautiful picking going on there, Mike. I like the chords and melody together not only tonally but they add some cool dynamics to it.
  8. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Love the descending double stops and the great tone you bring out of your Ellis. Well done Michael. I felt like I was sitting in your kitchen just listening to you play a tune for me!