Connaughtmans Ramble

1. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Decided to have a go at fingerpicking and found (to my surprise) that I can fingerpick just about as well as I can flatpick. So here is one of my favourite jigs -fingerpicked.

2. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Impressive! I like that tune, too!
  3. Mike Floorstand
    Mike Floorstand
    I was sure this tune had been a SOTW but I'm glad someone else has recorded it anyway:

My main reason for recording is that I'm selling this instrument, I hope that is allowed here? I wanted to post a video showing that the instrument, although very old, is quite playable. The sound quality of my laptop's internal mic is a bit tinny, but hopefully gives some idea of the sound.

The instrument is on ebay at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230788471550

Cheers
  4. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    I can only aspire to meet Maudlin's speed and accuracy at this point. That was awesome! I'm really impressed with MM's finger picking. My Daughter wants to fingerpick the mandolin, and you demonstrated that it can be done.

Anyway, I'm just going to get over myself and post this even tho' I buggered up the end here. My "countess" workload never seems to lighten, so I'm just going to do my best playing and posting music and having a good time .... boo boos and all!

5. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Every tune leads to another. After the Lark-in-the-Morning thread, I looked for something to connect it with and found Saddle the Pony (which was an almost polls winner once); then, I found that Connaughtman's Rambles goes well in front of that, and that there was this thread for it already. It all fell into place.

6. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nicely played Loretta. I enjoyed that very much.

Bertram, well played as always!
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Wow! A lot of activity on SAW at the moment, I have been watching but not commenting, apologies, will try to catch up this weekend, hope you’re all having a great day!
    I thought some of you guys might appreciate a tune played fast, with fingers flying freely, and outrageously capo-less!

8. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Ha, Simon - you fell in with bad company, they are teaching you all the wrong and illegal things
  9. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    That is nice Simon, good triplets. I envy long-fingered people who can reach a 7 on an octave with a pinkie. For us with dwarf fingers, we are jealous.
  10. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Bertram and Ginny. I envy regular-fingered people who can reach a 7 on an mandolin with a pinkie. For us with dinosaur fingers, we are jealous.
  11. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine picking, Simon.
  12. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Nice playing, Simon. I didn’t miss the capo.
  13. pluckinstrings
    pluckinstrings
    Here is my go at it!
  14. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine playing, Jason.
  15. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice picking, and nice feeling, Jason.
  16. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Really nice ornaments and a good steady tempo! That was a real pleasure to listen to.
  17. pluckinstrings
    pluckinstrings
    Thank you very much!
  18. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    well played all, great tune with tricky enough second part
  19. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Very tricky, the version I did more than a year ago now, my triplets seem very uniform.
    And the main jig rhythm I’ve changed the swing too.
  20. John W.
    John W.
    Played on a Phil Davidson mandolin

A lot happens within a week in this group…around 25 tunes/songs have been discussed within the last 7 days! I’ve dipped in for listening/reading the comments, but not able to keep up with the pace! However, I noticed Simon’s comments today were related to a tune I posted on YT around 5 months ago…which, although not recorded specifically for the SAW group, is typical of my current capabilities. The variations in styles, pace and instruments people have played the tune on here highlights that one size doesn’t fit all. All versions are pleasurable in what they offer…in terms of technique, I’m astonished at the speed of Maudlin’s mando’ fingerpicking!
  21. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Fine versions by Jason and John W.
  22. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice tone, and clean picking, thanks for posting John W.
  23. John W.
    John W.
    Much appreciated Frithjof and Simon.
  24. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely version John - you're getting great tone out of your Davidson mandolin, and that's not just down to the instrument, it's down to technique as well - nice work!
  25. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Lovely fluid jig-playing there, John, and a great sound from your mandolin. Loads of sustain in your recording.
  26. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    That was fun John! Nice pick'n.
  27. John W.
    John W.
    Jill, John and Frank. Thanks to each of you for the encouragement and positive comments…and glad you enjoyed listening.
  28. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Well done John, that sounds really good!
  29. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I liked the versions posted here so much that I thought I would have a go at the tune.
    Solo mandolin recorded on my camcorder and the wee Tascam DR-05. I just loaded the two tracks into my Movavi software that I got recently then lined them up to sync the Tascam audio with the camcorder's audio. I then deleted the camcorder track and added the titles.

Thanks to all who have already posted the tune and given me the urge to try it.

30. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Great picking by both of you. I wish I could smile like John when recording.
  31. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice energetic joyful playing there John, thanks.
  32. John W.
    John W.
    Glad you’ve been urged to play the tune, John… Good steady pickin…and those smiles suggest you enjoyed playing it!
  33. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one John, enjoyed listening to that with me breakfast cuppa!
  34. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Ginny, Simon, John and Jill. I enjoyed doing an unaccompanied tune for a wee change.
  35. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Your welcome John.
  36. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    So nice to hear your mandolin singin' solo, verry nice clean pick'n!
  37. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Three fine new jig recordings by Jason and the two Johns.
  38. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    You’re flying, Bertram! Love the energy and the double stops.
  39. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Good solid versions, Jason, John and John (I love alliteration), capturing the sanguinic mood of the tune.

Simon, I haven't heard my version for a long time and I must say flying is OK but I should have touched the ground more often...
  40. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Ctrl-C Ctrl-V

Well done John, that sounds really good!

41. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    great thread this, really enjoyed listening too and learning this one , cheated a little and choose a version with no high b

42. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Oh, nice one Lawrence - I really like how it sounds without the high b!
  43. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Is it cheating when it works, Lawrence? Well played. Without the high B you can stay in 1st position right through - I moved up to get better fingering for that B.
  44. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Very enjoyable listening Lawrence, thanks. I like the smooth bouncing rhythm too.
    When I sit back and listen with my foot tapping then cheating is the last thing that’s going through my mind!
  45. John W.
    John W.
    Just commented on your YT channel, Lawrence…where you will see I didn’t suggest you cheated…
  46. Bren
    Bren
    Great rhythm and tone Lawrence!
  47. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Jump off my bike, throw the back pack with my frozen pizza in it onto the floor and check MC SAW. And there’s news from Australia!
    Ok so do I record this tune again but just for fun and provocation, play it with my feisty little Keech banjo.
  48. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Two great new solo versions by John K. and Lawrence!