The Maple Leaf/Mouth of the Tobique

1. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    It's springtime with sunshine and birdsong outside, can there be a better time to stay indoors and record a video (whatever Simon says)?

This is Maple Leaf, a reel I learned for playing in the Jamulus World Jam with the Kuefer Session group. Since the name suggests a false hint at a Canadian origin, I had to pair it with a real Canadian tune.

2. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Great start to the week-end Bertram! Awesome pickin' gets my juices flowing! Thanks for that.
  3. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    The Maple Leaf is one of me favourite reels, composed by the late Darach de Brún, a Dublin piper/whistle player - a wee request: could you credit him on your YouTube video?
  4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks for the heads-up, Jill - done.

Thanks Frank, glad to lube a dry morning.
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine pairing, Bertram. Maple Leaf is a new one to me and we often play Mouth of the Tobique here in our session - I love the syncopated section in this tune; it gives the piece a great lift.
  6. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks John - that syncopated C-part is what always intrigued me about that tune, and it is what Sharon Shannon extended to a gazillion variations, none of which is identical with the "official" one typically played by Natalie MacMaster.
    Nothing for it but to go with the flow of your local session...
  7. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Amazing playing, Betram! Glad to see a new recording by you here.
    The performance of the Kuefer Session group in the Jamulus World Jam was gorgeous!!!
  8. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Outstanding performance Sir! Love the full throttle, ‘This is it!’, hell-for-leather force of your syncopated playing Bertram.
  9. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Yes sir! Fine playing, cool video, and the instrument switch was perfect.
  10. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Amazing technical and rhythmical abilities, Bertram!
  11. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks, gents.
    Simon, "hell-for-leather" was new to me, but you forgot "pedal to the metal" in your list