Parlami d'amore Marił

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is a popular Neapolitan song, written by Cesare Andrea Bixio to words by Ennio Neri. The song appeared originally in the 1932 movie "Gli uomini, che mascalzoni....", an early Vittorio de Sica vehicle (who also sang the song in the movie). It has been sung since then by just about every Neapolitan popular singer, and many opera singers.

My instrumental version is based on the arrangement by Matteo Casserino (1911-2001). His original recording, and hand-written music chart, are available at:

http://www.brucezweig.com/music/matteo/

1898 Giuseppe Vinaccia mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  2. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    The tune and the mandolin are perfectly suited for one another. Thanks Martin for another trip in your way back machine to a distant time and place...
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks for another memory trip, Martin. I only the knew the refrain of this one previously. Your delivery is well up to your usual high standard and the tenor seems to have acquired some more bass response, which I like.

On a different note, I have this mental picture of you locking yourself away in your garret in the upper reaches of your house, playing those wistful tunes to some lost love.
  4. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, John and Michael. These Italian tunes are good fun, and as Michael says there is a feeling that this is what the Vinaccia was built for by the maker -- she's coming home to Naples.

Martin
  5. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Beautiful Martin! Do you know what mandolin Matteo Casserino used on those recordings? Your sound is soo close, it seems your using his mando.
  6. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Frank! If it sounds like Matteo, it's not because of the mandolin -- there are various photos of Matteo on the website of Caffe Trieste and Gregg Miner, showing him playing A styles with oval or f holes, and even an F Style (not sure if F4 or F5). I believe on the Silent Fountain recordings he was playing an old Gibson A with oval hole, on which he had replaced the carved back with a flat one (not sure why -- home repair, possibly).

Martin
  7. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Thanks fo this nice trip to Italy, Martin.
  8. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    One of your best recordings, Martin! Could be kind of a signature recording of you and your Vinaccia mandolin.
  9. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Fine atmospheric playing Martin, I love the interplay between the two instruments.