One Hundred Years Flood -- In Memory Of John Goodin

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Reel: One Hundred Year Flood (John Goodin)
    Arranged by Evelyn Tiffany-Castiglioni

It was with great sadness that I heard of the passing of John Goodin this week. John was a good musical friend, a constant inspiration, and offered great support to my (sometimes fumbling) attempts at playing his music. Over the years, I have recorded 49 of his compositions on my channel. In his memory, I have today re-recorded one of his most joyous ones, this uplifting reel which we play regularly with our group in an arrangement by another much missed musical friend, Evelyn Tiffany-Castiglioni. It breaks my heart that we have lost both of them in the short time since I first recorded this tune in 2019.

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin (x2)
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  2. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Thanks for this fine tribute, Martin. Where are John Goodin's compositions published?
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A fine tribute, Martin. He will be missed by so many.
  4. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, John and Christian.

Christian: John Goodin's blog is here, where he posted his compositions with PDF scores and his own home recordings:

So Many Tunes...

An alphabetical index of the tunes posted to his blog, with direct links to PDFs and MP3s is here:

http://www.mandotopia.com/SMT.htm

John's main website with links to all his books, ebooks and other publications is here:

https://www.mandotopia.com/

As of now, the links all work. This may of course change, so I recommend saving the scores offline if you are interested in preserving them.

Martin
  5. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely tribute Martin
  6. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Thanks for this nice tribute Martin, I was shocked to hear about the passing of John Goodin. I had a few conversations with him the last years an he seemed a very friendly and helpful guy. John's weblog "So Many Tunes" was defenitely one of the reasons for me to start playing the mandolin. He composed lovely and catchy tunes that ispired me to play and make my own weblog with original tunes years later. I sure will miss him very much.

Here I played John Goodin's "Bob's Angels" on my Kentucky KM606

7. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Hendrik, so good to see you posting again. You have been missed here in the group.
    Fine tribute to a fine composer.
  8. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Well played Martin and thanks for posting this thread.

And Luurtie, good to hear from you. Fine, inspiring playing, many thanks.
  9. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Hendrik -- as John and Simon say, it's good to see you here again, even though the cause is sad. And thanks for your beautiful rendition of Bob's Angels. That is not one of John's tunes that I have tried before, but I will now as it sounds spellbinding how you play it.

Martin
  10. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Thanks for a fine rendition of a lovely tune. Sad occasion but nice to hear you play some mandolin again.
  11. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Both are beautiful tunes - a lovely melody. Nice tributes by Martin and Hendrik.
  12. bbcee
    bbcee
    Very fine work, both of you. Hendrik, I'm very glad to "see" you posting! Although a sad occasion, something good.

I hope So Many Tunes will stay up, it's a great site.
  13. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Assisi Heights (John Goodin, June 2021)

This is one of the last pieces composed and recorded by John Goodin. I am recording some more old and new favourites by him this week, in memory of a much-missed musical friend.

John composed Assisi Heights earlier this year, as a spiritual recollection of time he spent in a Franciscan retreat of this name in Minnesota. He posted the tune and his recording thereof on his blog in June:

https://somanytunes.blogspot.com/202...i-heights.html

I really like this tune, which defies easy categorisation -- the spiritual angle shines through and seems fitting at this moment. I have taken it very softly, on the Vinaccia (double-tracked), which also seemed fitting to the title and mood of the piece. John's own recording uses a Gibson and a quite different style of guitar accompaniment, with a somewhat different feeling.

1898 Giuseppe Vinaccia mandolin (x2)
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  14. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    John Goodin: Autumn Suite , November 2020
    1. Amber - 0:00
    2. Russet - 1:27

Over the past couple of years, John wrote four seasonal suites for solo mandocello (or octave mandolin). This was the fourth suite to complete the set. There are five movements, of which I have recorded the first two in this video. The score and John's own recording (on OM) are here:

https://somanytunes.blogspot.com/202...ndolin-or.html

Suzuki MC-815 mandocello (solo)

Martin