Week #24 ~ Rights of Man

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner, by one vote, Rights of Man.

Here is tab from Mandolin Cafe

Here are two TabEdit files from Mandozine

Here it is on www.thesession.org

Here is the ABC from www.thesession.org:

X: 1
    T: Rights Of Man, The
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    R: hornpipe
    K: Emin
    |:GA|B2A2 G2F2|EFGA B2ef|gfed edBd|cBAG A2GA|
    BcAB GAFG|EFGA B2ef|gfed Bgfg|e2 E2 E2:|
    |:ga|babg efga|babg egfe|d^cde fefg|afdf a2gf|
    edef gfga|bgaf gfef|gfed Bgfg|e2 E2 E2:|

Here it is from www.abcnotation.com
  2. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Me and my peeps. Destruction of decent 48 khz audio courtesy of YouTube.

3. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Gee, Mike, that didn't take you long! Awesome performance!
  4. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    Very nice. I've been meaning to learn this tune for a long time.
  5. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Figured I'd go ahead and get this one out of the way. Seems so unimpressive after Mike's rendition! Made some mistakes.... of course! Played on my Mid-Missouri mandolin

6. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Sounds good, Barb.

We've been playing this tune for five or six years, so it required no effort. (Though this was the first time for our new guitarist and bass player.) I gambled it would win so we recorded it Tuesday, and hang me for a toad if it didn't.

I'm a big fan of Robin Williamson, from The Incredible String Band. (See below; not "Rights of Man," though.) He has a great fiddling book -- well worth having, if you see one somewhere sometime -- and this tune is in it. I dutifully learned Robin's "Rights" and went off to play it at my first Irish session. Little did I know, but Robin is one of the few people in the world who play it in Am or Dm or whatever. I bided my time and leaped in on the tune when it came around, as I knew it would, but I was playing in the wrong key. I made a complete fool of myself. So, I went home and learned it a second time.

Experience is a harsh but instructive master.

7. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Great stuff, Mike. Another big fan of Robin Williamson here. I have said book and learned "Rights of Man" in Dm as well but have forgotten it in that key long ago. I knew there something I liked about you.
  8. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Here's a bit of my Em version played on my Sobell mandolin.

9. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great versions everyone - and nary a one of you dressed like a hobbit! (re: the clip Old Sausage found on youtube and posted in last weeks poll)
  10. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    That Sobell is so sweet, David!
  11. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Jill, can we look forward to YOU dressing as a hobbit? :-)
  12. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Sadly, I think not, as I possess no velvet waistcoats, breeches or collarless shirts.....and my feet aren't that big!
  13. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    The easiest way to look like a hobbit is to hold an f style mandola and sit in a chair that's too big for you. Actually aren't Mike Romkey and Co in Bilbo's drawing room? A fine job so far by all.

Here's my attempt at the tune, I'm not quite sure what style it's in

14. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    David, Nice job! We should call the style Celtic Grass? Green Grass? What chords are you using?

AFA looking like a hobbit, you're right, but being born a hobbit is even easier...
  15. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Hey, I like that CD, Celtgrass maybe? Here are my chords:

A part
    |: Em / Em / Am / Bm /
    Em / Em / Am Bm Em / :|

B part
    |: Em / Em / Am / Bm /
    Em D G Bm Em Bm Em :|

Some of those Am and Bm I'm probably playing as m7, and the intro is a big Em7 chord.
  16. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    OS I look forward to your fresh approach to Celtic tunes, you've created a great feel for an old tune. Nice work.
  17. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks David - I always find your videos inspiring.
  18. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Now we know what this tune would sound like if Dawg played it! Or Old Sausage. I like it jazzy.
  19. Dukaine
    Dukaine
    All I can say is - Wow! These postings rock. It's so fun to know that one song can have so many beautiful variations.
  20. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    OS, that's a nice demonstration that harmonics contain 90% of the feel of any piece of music. Paddy, who fell asleep in the smell of beer and peat smoke of a pub in West Cork, suddenly awakes on the passenger seat of a 52' Cadillac Convertible, racing along Sao Paolo marina at dawn.
  21. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    What a wonderful image, Bertram
  22. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Another tune I've known for a long time:

Or here is the link: Rights of Man

Apologies if Vimeo is a problem for some folks, however, YouTube would not show the video, just the audio. Not sure what the problem is.

A few people foolishly hinted that they wanted more whistle, so here you go.

Edit: Not sure why the embedding isn't working, but you can see the video by following the link.
  23. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Very nice Dana, on both mandolin and whistle. I'm pretty sure I was one who was encouraging whistle use but I don't feel foolish in the least, especially after listening to this.
  24. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Here's CD's video embedded:

That whistle really gives it a cool sound. (Hint: just paste the code - 7013462 - into the Vimeo box.)
  25. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Thanks David and David, for the kind words re: the whistle.

So the Vimeo embedding doesn't work like the YouTube, where you have to copy/paste the whole long snippet from the "embed" button at the video? I'll try to remember. Better would be to figure out why YouTube doesn't like any video created with Windows Movie Maker.
  26. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    In fact you only have to paste the short code for YouTube as well (i.e. if your YouTube video is found at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raNVCsoaa24

You just paste raNVCsoaa24 into the YouTube box.)

I believe it is just a coincidence that pasting the whole YouTube embedding code works at all - I don't think that it was ever intended to function that way. I create all my videos with Windows MovieMaker and YouTube is quite happy with them. What settings do you use when you save the movie? I usually choose "Video for Broadband (512kbs)".
  27. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Whoa Dana, just when Paddy was going to taste his first Caipirinha, you beamed him back to the peat bog again! Can't make a more genuine original sound than that (until you pull out your uillean pipes, that is )
  28. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Quote: I create all my videos with Windows MovieMaker and YouTube is quite happy with them. What settings do you use when you save the movie? I usually choose "Video for Broadband (512kbs)".

David, I don't see that choice, at least not under "Publish to this computer". I have some other choices, including a low bandwidth (117kbps), and then a range from 1 mbps to 7.2 mbps (1080p - ie hi def). My version of Movie Maker is 6.0; how does that compare to yours? I'm wondering if I need to update?

Bertram - Thanks! I suspect THIS Paddy, anyway, would find a caipiranha too high brow, and will stick to Guiness. Coincidentally, I've been listening to "Blacksmith" by Planxty, trying to learn the mando part, and threaten to get a set of pipes every time Liam O'Flynn comes in. But then I would be banished to the garage...
  29. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice job, Dana - the whistle and mandolin combo is lovely!
  30. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Dana I think it's my version that's out of date - I use Windows XP, and my MovieMaker version is 5.1.
  31. Tom Tax
    Tom Tax
    Here's my attempt at the Rights of Man - Tom

32. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    David - And yet yours is the version that works... I suspect that, since the audio worked but not the video, that I have a codec problem. No idea how to fix such a thing. I recently had a problem with Windows DVD Maker, and thought I corrected the codecs. Anyway, I'll try a couple of different formats from WMM and see if any of them work on YouTube.

BTW, CeltGrass is good. Does it need a vowel between t and g, like CeltiGrass or CeltoGrass...
  33. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Hey Tom, sounds like your tone is really improving. Whatever you've been doing, it's working.

Dana, I don't know if you've seen the YouTube handbook, but they have guidelines on which codecs to use, as well as a lot of other useful info. I had a quick google and it seems like some people already use the term celtgrass for bluegrass/celtic fusion.
  34. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    David,

Thanks for the link; I'll take a look. OTOH, saving the video as a .wmv seems to have worked:

Quality seems okay, so this is what I'll use, unless I have a YouTube epiphany. (Apologies for the double posting; this is more a test.)

CeltGrass is already taken? Too bad. I thought we were on the bleeding edge here...
  35. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    CeltaGrass, isn't that what happened when you left your tent up out on your lawn for too long, it CeltaGrass?
  36. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Test post

TestSoundFile.mp3

OK, I'm stumped. Anybody know how to post MP3s?
  37. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    You can post them in your Mandolin Cafe blog, and then link to them from here. Just create a blog post, and then click the "attach" button (paperclip).
  38. Scott Tichenor
    Scott Tichenor
    Blogs are actually for... well, blogging. I've browsed the support forum for our message board and with this current release they have not yet enabled attachments in social groups. Yes, I wish they did, too. Putting MP3s in the blogs is not advised, and here's why. The blogging featuring is for people that wish to blog, and each blog post gets pulled in as an RSS feed into the board. Adding MP3s there is not a practical solution and will clutter the board. If social groups need a dedicated area for posting MP3s, that can be added through the main message board feature. Although that's essentially similar in that all new posts get pulled into the "New Posts" feature, at least we aren't fooling people that someone has written content in a blog format.

I do not normally monitor this area so if you have concerns, please contact me privately.
  39. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Tried that, OS, but it won't accept the MP3s. I see from Scott's message that isn't really the best plan. Hopefully the message board programers will come up with a feature sometime soon. Seems to only make sense to be able to post MP3s if we can post videos.

My obsession with destructive YouTube sound compression may lead me to post audio submissions on my band website (which is run with TypePad blog software) and put hot links here. Should work. I've about given up on video song compression.

Let's see if that works: http://michaelromkey.typepad.com/fil...tsoundfile.mp3

It seems to! If you give a listen, you can see ... er, hear ... the difference. This is 44.1 kHz 25 bit bounced to MP3. Compare that to my "Rights of Man" video, which was 48 kHz bounced to MPG. I don't know why I care about this, but bad sound drives me crazy. I'll shut up now.
  40. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Let's see if Scott can give us some direction for those that wish to upload better sounding sound files, in addition to the videos.

I understand your 'obsession' with wanting your music to sound as good as humanly (or technically!) possible. Of course, the You Tube video format is NOT where we are going to get the best sounding audio, however, I feel what it lacks in that, it more than makes up by being able to put a face (when we include our faces, haha), a personality, to the membership, and is supposed to be 'instructional', at least some of them.

Now, as with everything, we have a wide array of videoing styles going on... from blurry web cam, to beautifully edited movie files... my video editor/movie maker is corrupt, and I just don't have the time to spend making movies of my videos.... I like to just go ahead and video, then upload, then get on with whatever next is pressing!

I'll contact Scott & see what he recommends for posting mp3's.
  41. Susanne
    Susanne
    Well, You Tube or Vimeo videos is just a way to post a link... you post your video to Vimeo or You Tube, and here you only link to it, in a way that you can see it on the site (embedding), with mp3 I suppose the way to go would be to post your mp3 to a place that you can link to (for example any file sharing site, I know a good one, can't think of the name right now but I'll fix that until tomorrow). There are file sharing sites where you upload your file and then you get a link that you can post here. That should work, or did I just not understand what the problem is?
  42. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    It's not really a problem, Susi, just a personal preference.

The point of this user group is to post "videos & mp3's," quoting the group landing page, of the weekly tunes (and others). The only way to post videos appears to be by uploading them to YouTube or Vimeo. Both sites compress the files in a way that can be pretty hard on the audio.

We can't presently post MP3s directly to this site, but we can post them elsewhere (a personal or band website, a file-sharing site) and then link to them.

One point of view is videos are more instructional (you can see what the player is doing) and fun. The other is video compression mashes most of the nuance and inflection out of the audio file and results in loss-y, lo-fi sound.

I'm not saying audio files are the way to go, but I am, as I said earlier, distressed at what the video compression does to the audio.
  43. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    What would be really great would be if we could all submit these tunes as mp3s and download each week's submissions as a podcast - won't be possible on this site's platform, I don't imagine.
  44. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Meanwhile, I do what Mike does, if necessary: store the mp3 on my own website and put a link here, like this one.

However, I find I am quite adaptive with sound quality - after all, a whole generation were content with grammophones, and YouTube compression gives it a nice steampunk touch
    And don't rock guitarists prefer tube amps for their rough quality (is that where YouTube got its name)?
  45. Susanne
    Susanne
    I agree, I don't think the sound is too bad most of the time. For example, Mike & his friends' video up here has an amazing sound quality, and it is You Tube... in my opinion it mostly depends on what you use to do the recording.
    After all, this site is all just for fun, to share each others' renditions of different tunes... it's home recordings and we shouldn't expect the sound quality to be at a professional level.
  46. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    The OM "Gravelwalks" post sounds sounds just great, Bertram. That's exactly what I'm talking about. It may be a "Tastes Great" vs. "Less Filling" debate (g), but it is nice to have an MP3 option.
  47. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Hope ya'll saw the 'new' discussion I posted yesterday, entitled MP3's. Scott created a place on the regular message board, where we could post our mp3's, and then link to them here on the social groups!
  48. Susanne
    Susanne
    That's nice of Scott. A way to share recordings when I'm not in the mood of showing myself on a video! So, time to learn how to manage the Zoom...
  49. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Here's mine...

50. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    Here's my attempt played on my Flood-Tone mandolin. I didn't play it through a second time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast